Has anyone done a DIY bonsai tree?

Posted (edited)

I searched, but didn't want to revive a years old thread.

So, I've watched a bunch of videos & am comfortable with the general construction methods. 

But I wondered if anyone has personal experience. 

Specifically, which type of moss did you use/like?

I'm supposed to pick up portions of java, christmas & subwasswertang (all local grown so hopefully similar water). Which would you use, and why?

The tree is going to be placed in a full light section of the tank, so i don't think buce or anubias are good candidates. 

Tank gets frequent water changes, kept pretty clean, has low/medium light, EI lite/weekly ferts via rotalla butterfly & is well planted with moderate bio load. Parameters are towards the soft/neutral end of things with a 7.0 ph, 6Gh & 2Kh. No CO2 & 8hr photo period. No algae problems, except a small bit of GDA which i don't mind. 

Edited by Beach Cruiser
Details
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2024 at 8:01 PM, Beach Cruiser said:

I searched, but didn't want to revive a years old thread.

So, I've watched a bunch of videos & am comfortable with the general construction methods. 

But I wondered if anyone has personal experience. 

Specifically, which type of moss did you use/like?

I'm supposed to pick up portions of java, christmas & subwasswertang (all local grown so hopefully similar water). Which would you use, and why?

The tree is going to be placed in a full light section of the tank, so i don't think buce or anubias are good candidates. 

Tank gets frequent water changes, kept pretty clean, has low/medium light, EI lite/weekly ferts via rotalla butterfly & is well planted with moderate bio load. Parameters are towards the soft/neutral end of things with a 7.0 ph, 6Gh & 2Kh. No CO2 & 8hr photo period. No algae problems, except a small bit of GDA which i don't mind. 

Weeping moss might look cool. Out of the 3 I would say christmas but think about weeping moss. It might look like a weeping willow which might be an interesting perspective. 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2024 at 12:54 PM, Beach Cruiser said:

Hmm, that would be a cool look.  I'll have to scout for some locally... haven't had the best of luck with shipped moss. 😕

If you can't find any locally, then I would suggest buying it from Buceplant. I've never gotten a destroyed plant from them so far and I'm sure weeping moss won't die off from Buceplant. Try to find a tissue culture moss as they usually survive better during shipment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I just got an idea for you. What if you put weeping moss as the base of the branches to get that weeping effect but then you put christmas moss or taiwan moss on top of it to make it bushy and like a weeping tree?

• Thanks 1

I really like the weeping moss idea for the top "leaves" (excellent tip, btw!)...but i think i want Anubias nana petite at the base (tree is kind of a gateway into the planned anubias/fern "garden")

Now i have to figure out my moss game. It grows ridiculously slow in my tank. Like, 1" a year! Maybe. Anubias seems like a race car in comparison.

Currently addressing a possible secondary nutrients/iron problem do to very soft water with the help of a very kind forum member here. Looks like it's really helping my stalled java fern, so hopefully it will kickstart the moss, too! Dropped the temp a few degrees to help out. 

Very much appreciate your input! 👍

On 5/12/2024 at 8:20 PM, Beach Cruiser said:

I really like the weeping moss idea for the top "leaves" (excellent tip, btw!)...but i think i want Anubias nana petite at the base (tree is kind of a gateway into the planned anubias/fern "garden")

Now i have to figure out my moss game. It grows ridiculously slow in my tank. Like, 1" a year! Maybe. Anubias seems like a race car in comparison.

Currently addressing a possible secondary nutrients/iron problem do to very soft water with the help of a very kind forum member here. Looks like it's really helping my stalled java fern, so hopefully it will kickstart the moss, too! Dropped the temp a few degrees to help out. 

Very much appreciate your input! 👍

I was talking about layering the moss with the weeping moss under the christmas moss at the top. Anubias garden sounds great!

On 5/12/2024 at 12:34 PM, Shrimpee said:

Weeping moss might look cool. Out of the 3 I would say christmas but think about weeping moss. It might look like a weeping willow which might be an interesting perspective. 

Weeping willow is such a pretty tree that would be great 👍 👍 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I’ve also tried Christmas moss, which looks fantastic, especially when it starts to drape and create that miniature tree look. Haven’t tried subwasswertang yet, so I’d be curious to hear how it works out for you if you go that route! Given your tank setup, java moss might be your best bet since it’s adaptable and should thrive in your soft/neutral parameters and low to medium light. As for your light section, I think either java or Christmas moss will do well and not need too much fussing over. Also, have you considered using camphor trees as part of your bonsai project? I came across some info on growing and caring for them, and they seem like a cool option for a bonsai tree if you’re up for trying something a bit different.

Edited by QuentinLin
  • Like 1