Yoshi's 55 Gallon Living Room Aquarium

On 6/5/2024 at 8:05 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Looks like your almost there! What is your nitrite reading tho? That is very important. Or did I miss something? 😂 I do that a lot. @Yoshi also how long has it been? Since you started. I was wondering how long it was tnak8ng you exactly…

Oops!  Mis-types.  It's my NITRITES that are hovering just barely above zero.  Fixed the original post.

Today is 3 weeks since I first put water in the aquarium!

• Like 1

On 6/5/2024 at 9:07 PM, Yoshi said:

Oops!  Mis-types.  It's my NITRITES that are hovering just barely above zero.  Fixed the original post.

Today is 3 weeks since I first put water in the aquarium!

Oooooh that makes more sense! Yes than your so close to being done! 3 weeks, wow, that is awesome! What a quick cycle if it finishes soon, best of luck! 

• Love 1

So last time I thought I was cycled I wasn't.  My nitrites went close to zero.  I re-dosed with ammonia and they shot right back up and stayed there for days.

Today I checked and my nitrites and ammonia are a flat zero.  No color change on the strip at all.  So I've re-dosed with ammonia and we'll see where it is tomorrow 🙂

One relatively new development.  I'm starting to see significant melt on two of my Anubis.  I know that plant melt is something you have to expect, but I would have thought it would have happened shortly after introducing them to the tank, not nearly a month in.  It's the two plants in the front two corners.

On the other hand, my two crypts are doing great!  No crypt melt here!

IMG_0314.jpeg

• Love 1

On 6/12/2024 at 7:46 PM, Yoshi said:

So last time I thought I was cycled I wasn't.  My nitrites went close to zero.  I re-dosed with ammonia and they shot right back up and stayed there for days.

Today I checked and my nitrites and ammonia are a flat zero.  No color change on the strip at all.  So I've re-dosed with ammonia and we'll see where it is tomorrow 🙂

One relatively new development.  I'm starting to see significant melt on two of my Anubis.  I know that plant melt is something you have to expect, but I would have thought it would have happened shortly after introducing them to the tank, not nearly a month in.  It's the two plants in the front two corners.

On the other hand, my two crypts are doing great!  No crypt melt here!

IMG_0314.jpeg

Exactly what happened to my 10g. I thought i might be done, but the nitrites after a dose of ammonia were off the charts!!! Hopefully maybe tomorrow you might be cycled. If not then in the next week most likely. 

• Like 1

So while I'm not fully cycled yet, I think we're getting close.

After taking parameters yesterday I re-dosed with 2 tsp ammonia which I've found takes me up to about 1.5ppm in my 55 gallon tank.

This evening ammonia was reading 0 and nitrites were only at 1ppm.  Nitrates had gone up to 50.

I'm not rushing out to buy livestock, but this feels encouraging! 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 11:53 PM, Yoshi said:

So while I'm not fully cycled yet, I think we're getting close.

After taking parameters yesterday I re-dosed with 2 tsp ammonia which I've found takes me up to about 1.5ppm in my 55 gallon tank.

This evening ammonia was reading 0 and nitrites were only at 1ppm.  Nitrates had gone up to 50.

I'm not rushing out to buy livestock, but this feels encouraging! 

Yes, you are so close! Almost there!!!!!