Sourdough discard to feed micro worms?

AdamS

Has anyone tried to used the discard from sourdough to feed micro worms?  

My wife has been getting into making sourdough recipes, sometimes she makes something with the discard and sometimes it goes in the trash.  Has anyone used the discard to feed micro worms?  I realize mash potatoes and oatmeal are pretty cheap, but this is already being thrown away so it is free. 

Absolutely, I would definitely try it with a separate culture. I was hoping someone had tried this, but if not I will give it a shot. 

Day 3 update.  Probably a little too early to check but I was curious. It doesn’t look like much has happened.  I will give them another 4 days and see how they look at 7 days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd be worried a bit about the alcohol produced by the starter and the pH (likely very acidic.) Alcohol is generally not conducive to life and the low pH produced could be an issue also. A used/discarded starter will likely be pretty acidic and laden with alcohol.

Day 7 update - I have left them alone since Monday.  It looks like they may have perished. There doesn’t look to be any microworms…. 

• Sad 3