Transporting fish

I'm hoping to get some tips on transporting fish. I'm planning on buying some fish and then driving them to their new home two days after. I do not have a quarantine tank at the moment. If I'm able to find them, I'd like to buy some Odessa Barbs. The plan is to buy them Wednesday and deliver them Friday. Is that too long of a period of time in the bag they send them home in from a fish store? The reason I'm doing it this way is because if I order online, they're sold unsexed, and I need males. I'm trying to do this in a way that's the least stressful for the fish (and me lol). I'm thinking that if fish can ship cross country in a bag, they can handle those conditions for two days. 

You're right that fish should be fine in a bag for two days, if they're properly packed.  I'd suggest telling whoever helps you at the store that they will be in the bag several days.  They should be willing to put fewer in each bag, or use a larger bag or bags than they would otherwise.

After you get them I'd recommend keeping them in the dark, and minimize movement as much as practical.

• Like 3

I think you'll be okay doing that. but i'd make sure the store understands what you're trying to do. the fish per bag needs to be on the low end and the bags need to be strong enough to travel. I'd also keep a close eye on temperature. temp swings that we wouldn't notice could have serious effect on your animals. possibly carry them in an insulated cooler as well. 

• Like 3