Oase Biomaster 850 on 10 gallon tank

Ok, ok, ok before you call me bat S crazy hear me out. I am currently waiting a few weeks for my 90 gallon to come in (had to be ordered). I have the oase just sitting in a box taking up space. Would I be crazy to hook that up to a 10 gallon to start the beneficial bacteria process early?

On 4/27/2024 at 8:03 PM, TanTann the fish man said:

Would I be crazy to hook that up to a 10 gallon to start the beneficial bacteria process early?

Starting the bacteria colonies is a good idea. I would put the Oase bio media in the 10 gallon tank for a weeks or so. Then move the Oase to a 5 gallon bucket and start dosing it with ammonia in a bottle. 

On 4/28/2024 at 1:44 AM, Markp2483 said:

If it was a bunch of hillstream loaches no problem they would love it but anything else most likely be problematic. Guppy like fish would take the most damage

Yea what's in the tank is long fin black skirt tetras and a couple kuhli loaches.

On 4/28/2024 at 7:40 AM, madmark285 said:

Starting the bacteria colonies is a good idea. I would put the Oase bio media in the 10 gallon tank for a weeks or so. Then move the Oase to a 5 gallon bucket and start dosing it with ammonia in a bottle. 

Oh ok so what your meaning is basically filtering a 5 gallon bucket and does it with ammonia?

On 4/27/2024 at 10:56 PM, TanTann the fish man said:

Yea that was my biggest concern as well. There is currently a few fish in the tank.

It would be like my power head in my 90 pushing my fish around.  Not desirable but possible depending on the inhabitants