Sac hanging from female guppy

jodip

Is this a uterine prolapse?  I checked on my tanks last night and my tiger halfmoon guppy did not look like this. This morning she has a sac hanging out of her. She dropped 6 fry a little over a week ago, one of which was dead at birth.  She had seemed normal after. She's been swimming and eating well. Actually, at feeding time this morning is when I noticed this. She gobbled up some food and I put her in a quarantine tank with some aquarium salt. If anyone has any advice on what to do, I would greatly appreciate it. The parameters of the tank she was in are:

pH-8.2

Temp-78

Ammonia-0ppm

Nitrite-0ppm

Nitrate-5ppm

Gh- greater than 300ppm (coop test strips)

Kh-300ppm (coop test strips)

20240421_070502.jpg

That a prolapse very common in liverbears when they are straining to give birth you want  to treat with epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days or you can  leave her in lower dose of epsom in quarantine 1 table spoon for 3 gallons for a week as epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to help your fish reabsorb the prolapse @jodip

@Colu Thank you! She dropped the fryton April 13th.   The last one she dropped was not fully formed and dead.  She never seemed to struggle, I watched her the entire time. It was my first time being able to see the live birth so I didn't want to miss it.  She ate and swam around well after so I put her back in the tank she's normally in and she had well up until this morning. When I found her like that, I put her in a hospital tank I had set up for a constipated guppy with 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt in a 3 gallon tank. The constipated guppy has since recovered and is back in his normal tank.  

My question would be now that she is in quarantine,  should I feed her as I normally would, will she still drop fry if she recovers, and if after a week the sac hasn't reabsorped, what should I do?

With a prolapse I wouldn't feed for 5 days if she reabsorbs the prolapse she will still be able to drop fry your more likely to have the issue  reoccur if the prolapse isn't reabsorb you would need I vet to push the prolapse back in add  stitches to hold it in place @jodip

Edited by Colu

@Colu Well, I didn't expect it to happen so fast, but she already reabsorbed her uterus so that is great. I'm assuming she should stay in the hospital tank for the week and follow the no food for 5 days as well? I just wanted to share the good news and thank you for your help again.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 6:50 PM, jodip said:

@Colu Well, I didn't expect it to happen so fast, but she already reabsorbed her uterus so that is great. I'm assuming she should stay in the hospital tank for the week and follow the no food for 5 days as well? I just wanted to share the good news and thank you for your help again.

Yes no food for the next 5 days then you can start to feed 

• Thanks 1

@Colu I just wanted to report back that my guppy is doing well and back in her normal tank and happily swimming around and eating and defecating normally.  Thank you for the help! 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 11:23 AM, jodip said:

@Colu I just wanted to report back that my guppy is doing well and back in her normal tank and happily swimming around and eating and defecating normally.  Thank you for the help! 

Good to hear she recovered 

• Thanks 1