Keeping Sponge Filters Cycled

RyanR

I can't claim the this is an original idea, but I wanted to get some feedback if this is good or bad.  I either read this here or saw on a video or something similar that gave me this idea.  I use HOB on our 40 breeder, 29 and 20L. I have a couple of ACO sponge filters.  I used to keep a small size in our 40 breeder to use if I need to setup a QT.  Honest, the only reason I don't like the sponge filter is the appearance - I don't like the way to look in the tank.

In the 40 breeder, I have an Aquaclear 70.  In the basket, I normally keep 2 sponges, then a filter pad, then a bag of bio media on top.  This tank stays crystal clear.  Recently, I replaced one of the sponges with 2 sponge filter sponges (side by side and smashed down a little).  I only need one, but I put two in there to take up the space.  This way, I can take one of them out to put right in the QT when I need it.  

Does anyone else do this?

Using spongy material is a great way to soup up HOB filters; I do that myself. However, it should be a flat material to promote even flow. I think if you use sponge filters, the water might not flow through properly.

Now, I get where you’re coming from: you want to use an already cycled medium full of BB, rather than starting over with a new medium. So, if I were you, here’s what I would do. Install well-sized media on the HOB, and then wring out your sponge filter right into it. Alternatively, you wring out your sponge filter into a bucket of tank water, and then disk your new medium in that slurry to seed the material. Although you would still lose BB, you would not be starting from a scratch. I have done this before, and it has worked very well.