Non of my fish are surviving?

I'm new to this and my fish seems to be not doing good I have follow instructions on cycling a tank I used prime and stability with it. After like a month or so I started adding 2 guppies in 2 weeks. So at first the seem to be doing good but after a week or so they started losing color and not eating anything. I have tested ammonia looks yellow (not too sure) but I think it's close to 0 and the nitrite and nitrate are 0 and 10. The only thing out of range is the PH which the color code doesn't even show and maybe the KH is a bit low.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-15 at 00.18.39_f2cce437.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-15 at 00.15.49_b8ce1d57.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-09 at 20.33.54_2440ca8e.jpg

Not usually. Hardness can be increased for sure. The first question coming to me. Where did you source the guppies. If sourced from big box stores. The lifespan on them may not be very long. And nothing at all to do with your tank. I can’t get them to survive more than a few months from there. Just from weak genetics. A better source would be a lfs or dans fish 

the next question. Do you have a nitrite test for them. If you’re showing nitrite. It’s not fully cycled yet. Best solution for that is a water change and dechlorinate with prime. And constant monitoring 

• Like 1

i use the strip test it shows 0 for nitrite but I made sure not to overstock with just 2 fish and I do dose prime, stability and flourish with each water change .I got them from I guess a local fish shop cause there isn't a chain shops in my country.

• Like 1

sorry, looked over that picture entirely. they should be happy with the wood and rocks in the tank. as long as you cleaned them decently. should be no problems. parameters look good with the exception of the ph. hardness can be increased for guppies. which should increase your ph. ph is way low for guppies. crushed coral or wonder shell would work easiest.

or alternatively, you could switch to non-livebearers. thinking, south american soft water species

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

Guppies are difficult for me. The only way I’ve been able to get them to work is if they breed in my water. Then, those raised in my water do well, and they breed, and then we’re off to the races. 

According to your test strip, the pH and gH look low to me for Guppies. 

• Like 2

On 4/15/2024 at 2:40 AM, Tony s said:

next question, what does the water in your tap look like, parameter wise

Everything looks the same except some chlorine present. The ph is even lower with my tap water. I made sure to boil the woods and scrub the stones. I saw some dude puting baking soda does it work?

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 7:31 PM, Misterpotato said:

I saw some dude puting baking soda does it work?

Baking soda causes drastic pH changes very quickly. Also, a little bit goes a loooooong way. Personally, I wouldn’t do it. 

My best advice would be to use fish that are going to do well in your tap water. Like you, I have water this is soft, with little to no buffer, and a lower pH below 7. I made the choice early on that I would rather work with fish that do well in my water instead of having to “make” water by altering it. Early on I struggled with Guppies and Endlers because they simply need other water than what I have. I’ve been able to fight through it with having them breed and raising the babies in my water, but it’s a struggle and takes work. Deciding to work with fish that like my water is probably one of the best decisions I made early on in my hobby. It makes everything that much easier, and I get to spend more time admiring and enjoying my tanks instead of “making” water, constantly chasing parameters, and stressing myself and the fish out. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes

On 4/14/2024 at 9:31 PM, Misterpotato said:

Everything looks the same except some chlorine present. The ph is even lower with my tap water

Agree with @AllFishNoBrakes  use the water you’re given. It makes everything so much easier. And consistent.  I believe that is the key for this hobby, as long as it’s easy and consistent people are going to have so much more success. You could easily do most South America species. Especially wild caught. Just a ton of fish. And some of the most colorful 

now, that being said, if guppies are your thing. By all means do guppies. But I’d use the crushed coral. It’s nice and gentle and slowly raises all your parameters. For guppies you really want ph of 7-8. Gh of 180 - 300. Kh of 120 - 300. With your water, that’s a lot to change.

• Like 1

The other thing about crushed coral. Depending on how you use it, you can see it disappearing into your water and reapply. 

but, you could easily do things like apistos, German rams (assuming you can find a good, hardy strain), even discus should be easier for you than for most people. 

They are. Nothing wrong with that choice. 

but for your water. How about some green neons. Say around 6.lots of color and relatively hardy. Around 5 panda corys. They’re cute and help clean uneaten food. And for a center piece. How about 1 male Apisto cacatoides male   Just for a special one and that would be a full tank. 

You’d have lots of movement. The neons might hide a bit at first. They may need more to bring them out. You will love the pandas. The apistogramma should b great. I want one for myself. 

I would suggest getting that KH up.  The nitrogen cycle consumes KH.  A very low KH can lead to a pH swing.

I'm not sure if that is the issue.  However, that seems to be the thing that stands out.

Edited by Galabar

And you could do the guppies. But harden your water first. And find a good supplier. With hardy guppies. It’s really not that hard. As long as you maintain it. But the hardness first. Then the supplier. The genetics are key. Around here, even with hard water, they’re hard to keep. In your country, not sure where you would go. Local mom and pop with success would be best. 

Posted (edited)

I check my dad fish tank outside which has no filter or whatsort but somehow housing over dozens of fish has good 7.6-7.8 ph. Can i somewhat steal his water over and some grass for some bacterial since its a relatively new tank (1 month)I’ll attach the test strip photo

d5df7c53-8f54-4d4c-a392-f0bd7685c7ad.jpeg

Edited by Misterpotato

On 4/15/2024 at 4:19 PM, Misterpotato said:

I check my dad fish tank outside which has no filter or whatsort but somehow housing over dozens of fish has good 7.6-7.8 ph. Can i somewhat steal his water over? I’ll attach the test strip photo

d5df7c53-8f54-4d4c-a392-f0bd7685c7ad.jpeg

Dont get the hid and nut number. But as for now the fish shop are close its like 9 at my place will using some of the water outside help relieve the stress on my guppies.

• Like 1