I think my Betta is dying after I used medication!

Ive been having issues with my Betta after I left my country for 3 months, while my friend looked after him. His fins are much shorter, and he doesnt swim like before, but I dont know whats wrong with him. I tried soft medications like salt, almond leaves, stress guard, but nothing helped!

So I used The Med Trio from Aquarium Coop, but the next day he was not moving, and the water current was making him move like he was dead! I freaked out, but when I touched him, he moved a bit and still breathing.

All the other fishes are acting normal and happy (2 Gardeners Killifish, 1 Bluefin Notho, 2 Amano Shrimp, 3 Snails), so its not the medication? Is it possible the Killifish attacked him (I moved him to this tank yesterday to medicate him)? Or maybe he was stuck in the filter and it destroyed his fins (I recently removed the sponge covering the filter)? Im not sure what happened or how to help him now.

Medication: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/the-med-trio

Edited by faysalals1

First thing. The med trio is for quarantine. You would actually want to use full strength meds for disease control. Following the directions right on the back of the box very closely. I’m not sure you can do full treatment strength for all 3 at same time. Preference is for a course of Maracyn or marycyn2. 

during the time you were gone. Was your friend checking water parameters and doing water changes. Improper parameters could lead to fin rot. Which sounds like the case here. 

On 3/31/2024 at 11:03 PM, Tony s said:

First thing. The med trio is for quarantine. You would actually want to use full strength meds for disease control. Following the directions right on the back of the box very closely. I’m not sure you can do full treatment strength for all 3 at same time. Preference is for a course of Maracyn or marycyn2. 

during the time you were gone. Was your friend checking water parameters and doing water changes. Improper parameters could lead to fin rot. Which sounds like the case here. 

I watched the videos below, and from what I understood from it, I should use all three medication! But English is not my first language, and I have Dyslexia I always get things wrong. So maybe it is the medication 😞

Should I kill it so it doesnt suffer, or do you think I should wait and see what happens?

The med trio is used at low doses of all 3 at the same time. Not at treatment level. Treatment level is full strength. I don’t have the paracleanse to know if it can be used with the other 2 at treatment level. Ich-x and maracyn is okay, I’m pretty sure about. You may actually be okay there. But.. it may be the medications in Maracyn 2 or Kanaplex that you need. They are effective on a different spectrum of bacteria. So maybe when you complete this round of trio medications. Wait a few days and start on Kanaplex.

as for putting him down, I can’t give advise on that.  I’m not good at doing that. We raise large amounts of large livestock. I could not do it until all hope was gone. I always fought for my animals recovery. Sometimes past the point of recovery 

• Like 1