Sponge Filter, Co2, and Power Head

Yoshi

Almost sounds like the setup for a joke, doesn't it?

I'm continuing my planning for my 55 gallon tank setup.  I'll be getting it up on its stand this weekend.  A quick rundown of the plan so far - it will be a relatively heavily planted tank.  55 gallons as I mentioned.  At this point I'm planning on a good handful of snails, 12 panda Cories, 12-16 cardinal tetras, 12-16 cherry barbs, and 2-3 honey gouramis.  I'm planning on running two medium ACO sponge filters in both back corners.

I'm debating about running co2 for the plants.  I've read about the incompatibility of co2 diffusers and sponge filters which makes sense.  Would running one of the sponge filters on an AOC power head work for co2?  Would a power head be good with the fish I'm planning?  

At this point I'm not totally sold on doing a co2 setup (mostly because it's kind of intimidating, and the initial cost), but I'm also working to figure out what my options are.

On 3/29/2024 at 7:25 PM, Yoshi said:

I'm debating about running co2 for the plants.  I've read about the incompatibility of co2 diffusers and sponge filters which makes sense.

Mostly a myth. I run sponges on all my tanks (now with the easy flow kits) including the 3 tanks I run CO2 on. I personally would run both. 

IMG_6796.jpeg.a41c07d168c3570f240d582b590dd8a8.jpeg

Here’s the drop checker on my Pea Puffer tank. This tank has a medium sponge filter with an easy flow kit, an internal filter with a spray bar, and CO2 at just over 2 bubbles per second on a 29 gallon tank. Obviously getting a drop in pH on the checker with air running in the tank. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes