Office Bookshelf Shrimp tank

I am thinking about doing a small filterless bookshelf aquarium and I was wondering if anyone has done one or has any opinions.  I have a smallish bookshelf in my office at work that would be perfect, the only issue is that it is no where near any electrical outlets.  My solution is to do a filterless shrimp tank.  My thoughts so far is to get the 3 gallon tank below:

image.png.42a28a3e587926cc120682176eb9d928.png

And also het these 2 rechargable lights:

image.png.175d7d25acc593a2e184bc039182a914.png

And lastly get 2 of these rechargable air pumps:

image.png.99978695aba95cede7c2889a8fdf718c.png

Then have a sand bottom with some river rocks, a few small pieces of wood, some easy plants like anubias and maybe Bacopa. Maybe Dwarf Sag. Possibly Crypt Wenditii Red. All of these plants I can source out of my main tank.  I could have one set of air pump and light charging while the other is active and switch them out daily. The only issues would be weekends when I wouldn't be able to turn the lights on or switch the air pump.  I'd start with just plants to see how it goes I think and once I get the plants going I'd add the shrimp.  

Does this seem like a doable idea or am I asking for a disaster? 

• Love 1

FIRSTLY Aquatop, if you're not familiar, makes awesome tanks. I'm on my 3rd one. I've had 2 cubes and their 13 gallon bookshelf which was amazing, however due to downsizing it's now at me Mum's house. It now has a ton of shrimp. 

image000000(54).jpg.64e339510726a182347c666390a1d8b1.jpg

image000005(2).jpg.241eaf59edb2a049a4c86dafa6ed382c.jpg

I would say you have a solid plan so far. I do think because the tank you're looking at isn't tall it shouldn't be a problem for the shrimp at all. However if you do go with that battery powered pump it would be good to get one that can do the intermitent air. That will save battery and likely go for longer. In that long 13 gallon I used a battery back up pump too but plugged it in (it's more for power outages) and it ran a small sponge filter and an air stone (dual pump)

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 12:58 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

it would be good to get one that can do the intermitent air

The one I pictured above does have a "Pulse" setting where it turns on and off every so often. It claims the battery can last 25 hours on pulse mode. 

• Like 1