Fish Recommendations

Honestly most fish will go after baby shrimp if you don’t provide a lot of cover for them to hide in. Most tetras, some Rasboras, and livebearers will all opportunistically snack on them.

How large is your tank?

Edited by EricksonAquatics
Grammar sucks
  • Like 1

I think you can get fish to help with this but I’ve kept guppies and tetras that all claimed to take out shrimp babies but did very little to stem the tide. For that I’m thankful because, for me, I needed those extra shrimp. You’ll need to cull more shrimp than you think once they get rolling to keep their colors looking nice. Also, what is overpopulated to you? For me, my tank is likely overpopulated, they’re everywhere anyway and it’s had no adverse reaction to my tank. No crashes, no die offs. Just lots of amazing little red shrimp to look at.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 8:13 PM, Chad said:

I think you can get fish to help with this but I’ve kept guppies and tetras that all claimed to take out shrimp babies but did very little to stem the tide. For that I’m thankful because, for me, I needed those extra shrimp. You’ll need to cull more shrimp than you think once they get rolling to keep their colors looking nice. Also, what is overpopulated to you? For me, my tank is likely overpopulated, they’re everywhere anyway and it’s had no adverse reaction to my tank. No crashes, no die offs. Just lots of amazing little red shrimp to look at.

Hi Chad,  Thank you for your input.  I want to have a planted tank and I think if it is wall to wall shrimp that would be too many.  I am looking at Blue Velvet shrimp and will probably only have a 10 gallon tank.  

• Like 1

I don’t think you’ll have shrimp wall to wall @Little Guys. Shrimp don’t seem to populate a tank like some snails might. But maybe I’m wrong, and let’s say they did. You want to have blue velvets? Unless I’m mistaken, everybody wants blue velvets and you should be able to easily sell or give the extras away if their population explodes. Seems like a great problem to have. All that said, I do personally recommend fish in a shrimp tank. Some things that can bother shrimp are simply food to fish. Better minds can chime in here, but I’m thinking of detritus worms and maybe hydra or planaria.