Newbie Dork Question - Battery Backup

Hi,  When I got my first tank it was a gift from  my sister and she set it up.  She gave me a USB Nano Air Pump to use if the electricity goes out.  I am looking to set up a 10 gal shrimp tank and trying to learn about all of this.  I am looking at the Aquarium Co-Op Air Pump with Battery Backup.  The pictures for this product only show one side of it where the cord from the electrical plug goes into the pump and the tubes from the aquarium go into the pump.  Where is the other end of the tube going?  

I didn't include a picture because of copyrights.

You need either an air stone or sponge filter at the other end. And between the air pump and air stone, you need to install a check valve. So that when the power does go out your airline doesn’t turn into a siphon, draining the water from your tank and onto your floor. Neither the air stone or the check valve are expensive at all. And readily available at a big box pet store.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2024 at 2:19 AM, Tony s said:

You need either an air stone or sponge filter at the other end. And between the air pump and air stone, you need to install a check valve. So that when the power does go out your airline doesn’t turn into a siphon, draining the water from your tank and onto your floor. Neither the air stone or the check valve are expensive at all. And readily available at a big box pet store.

And airline can be used for other stuff, too, @Little Guys. Other than delivering air, I've used it for drip-acclimation, water changes/spot vacuuming on small tanks, as a boom to "corral" floating plant, and as a sort of inner tube to float DIY breeder boxes (made from coffee filter baskets). So it's always good to have some lying around.

Edited by Rube_Goldfish
  • Like 2