Instant cycle???

I just set up my first 20L planted tank this weekend. I'm using Fluval stratum for the substrate, two ACO sponge filters, rainbow slate stone and an assortment of plants. (Windelov java fern, crinum calamistratum, bucephalandra, bacopa & anubias)

I had one of the two sponges sitting in my established desktop tank for 2 weeks with my mystery snails - it's only a 3 gallon and the extra sponge took up a lot of room. After I rinsed the stratum and filled the tank, I installed the seeded sponge with a dosing of SEED into the tank. It's been 48 hours and I tested my water for the first time.

pH: 6.4 Ammo: 0 NO2: 0 NO3: 5.0 GH: 72 KH 36 Temp: 80

I know the pH needs work, but the other numbers are looking pretty good. So what I'm asking now is this tank potentially ready for fish?

Two years ago when I had Miso the betta and Zamboni the mystery snail, I had the typical beginner tank with pea gravel & two anubias plants. Zamboni has since passed leaving me with several of her children (in a 10G bare bottom hatchery) and I'm ready to upgrade to a larger tank.

The 20L is going to be home to Kuhli loaches and some community fish. 

IMG_20240318_133208646.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 2:02 PM, T. Payne said:

If you have nitrites the tank is not cycled.

I think they mentioned only (a small amount of) nitrates:

pH: 6.4 Ammo: 0 NO2: 0 NO3: 5.0 GH: 72 KH 36 Temp: 80

The presence of nitrate should show a cycle going on.  However, again, I'd test it with a bit of ammonia.

• Like 1