How to address anubias melting

I recently repurposed a tank for ADFs. To do so, I had to remove the gravel in the tank and replace it with sand, which required me to uproot the anubias (the rhizomes weren't buried, only the roots). They were doing alright before, but now a bunch of leaves are melting and things are turning yellow. Some leaves are still alright. I didn't want to plant them again, but I didn't have any rocks or pieces of wood to glue them on, so I've just left them floating for now.

Could it be that they're melting because they don't have something to hold onto? Or would it just be the stress of being uprooted?

How should I keep the plants from melting more? I do have wood and rocks now, so I plan on gluing the plants down within the next week or so. Should I just trim away the melted leaves/stems and glue down what's left?

On 3/17/2024 at 4:34 PM, Seisage said:

I recently repurposed a tank for ADFs. To do so, I had to remove the gravel in the tank and replace it with sand, which required me to uproot the anubias (the rhizomes weren't buried, only the roots). They were doing alright before, but now a bunch of leaves are melting and things are turning yellow. Some leaves are still alright. I didn't want to plant them again, but I didn't have any rocks or pieces of wood to glue them on, so I've just left them floating for now.

Could it be that they're melting because they don't have something to hold onto? Or would it just be the stress of being uprooted?

How should I keep the plants from melting more? I do have wood and rocks now, so I plan on gluing the plants down within the next week or so. Should I just trim away the melted leaves/stems and glue down what's left?

How long have you had the anubias? Also besides light the anubias needs food. Trim off the yellow melting leaves and hopefully new leaves develops. 

On 3/19/2024 at 8:41 AM, Tlindsey said:

How long have you had the anubias? Also besides light the anubias needs food. Trim off the yellow melting leaves and hopefully new leaves develops. 

One of my anubias plants had for a few years now. The light colored leaf17108523729137821082928696707982.jpg.65a5c491a013e0c39b3123341a1fe37f.jpg recently grown. 

On 3/19/2024 at 8:47 AM, Tlindsey said:

One of my anubias plants had for a few years now. The light colored leaf17108523729137821082928696707982.jpg.65a5c491a013e0c39b3123341a1fe37f.jpg recently grown. 

Also the anubias roots aren't buried just tucked in the little basket. So having the roots buried or not attached to anything has nothing to do with the melting. 

Edited by Tlindsey

I've had my anubias do the same thing when I have moved them. Every time they lost a few leaves but quickly settled back in and started putting out some new roots and then new leaves. I left the yellowing leaves attached to the plant. Eventually they will detach and then I pull the loose leaves from the tank

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 5:41 AM, Tlindsey said:

On 3/19/2024 at 11:32 AM, Bsquared said:

I've had my anubias do the same thing when I have moved them. Every time they lost a few leaves but quickly settled back in and started putting out some new roots and then new leaves. I left the yellowing leaves attached to the plant. Eventually they will detach and then I pull the loose leaves from the tank

Thank you both for responding. I guess I was stressing over nothing because the anubias plants have already started growing new leaves! It's slow, of course, but there is new growth. I guess it was just the stress of moving them, but they didn't melt like this the last time I had to move them, so I was worried. I did end up pulling off the yellow leaves, just so they don't foul the water too much.

• Like 3

On 3/22/2024 at 9:32 PM, Seisage said:

Thank you both for responding. I guess I was stressing over nothing because the anubias plants have already started growing new leaves! It's slow, of course, but there is new growth. I guess it was just the stress of moving them, but they didn't melt like this the last time I had to move them, so I was worried. I did end up pulling off the yellow leaves, just so they don't foul the water too much.

That's a great update.