Apistogramma...time to separate?

Hello, I have a 29 gal with 3 male cockatoo Apistogramma...I know, not the best choice. The intent was to have 1 male and 2 females, but was sent 3 males instead. Anyways, I was advised by breeder that it should be fine, as long as I had lots of structure and no females. And since they were mailed to me, I couldn't feasibly return them.

Things were seemingly going well. However, I started working from home more a few weeks ago, so I'm getting a chance to observe their behavior more during the day. I am noticing that my dominant male is chasing the others more. It used to be a quick chase and then all was well, which I assume would be normal all things considered. But now it is more of a pursuit where he chases around the tank for a few seconds and then stops. I don't see wounds other than occasional split caudal fins which I assume is from displaying. The sub males ignore each other.

Thoughts? Is it time to separate? I want to keep the dom male with the platies, as I assume he would be the most robust of them long term and he is the most efficient at eating platy babies. Then I was going to try and find a home for 1 sub male and then put the other sub male in my 20 gal, but the 20 gal has reached stocking limits IMO and I also don't want him to decimate my shrimp colony. In the 20, I also have 2 honey gourami who like to hang at bottom of tank, and a bunch of cories, so I'm sure adding the apisto to this situation would be a poor choice. So I'm thinking I would have to re-home both sub males if I remove them.

Here is a pic of dom male. Based on appearance of when they arrived 3 months ago and now, I think they have all reached age of full sexual maturity (perhaps 7 or 8 months old). You can see a sub male at the edge of the pic.

PXL_20240317_135456676.jpg.30bb4b932cfa68c2a477efa5d4967c66.jpg

Thanks in advance for advice!

On 3/17/2024 at 10:15 AM, cmo1922 said:

Hello, I have a 29 gal with 3 male cockatoo Apistogramma...I know, not the best choice. The intent was to have 1 male and 2 females, but was sent 3 males instead. Anyways, I was advised by breeder that it should be fine, as long as I had lots of structure and no females. And since they were mailed to me, I couldn't feasibly return them.

Things were seemingly going well. However, I started working from home more a few weeks ago, so I'm getting a chance to observe their behavior more during the day. I am noticing that my dominant male is chasing the others more. It used to be a quick chase and then all was well, which I assume would be normal all things considered. But now it is more of a pursuit where he chases around the tank for a few seconds and then stops. I don't see wounds other than occasional split caudal fins which I assume is from displaying. The sub males ignore each other.

Thoughts? Is it time to separate? I want to keep the dom male with the platies, as I assume he would be the most robust of them long term and he is the most efficient at eating platy babies. Then I was going to try and find a home for 1 sub male and then put the other sub male in my 20 gal, but the 20 gal has reached stocking limits IMO and I also don't want him to decimate my shrimp colony. In the 20, I also have 2 honey gourami who like to hang at bottom of tank, and a bunch of cories, so I'm sure adding the apisto to this situation would be a poor choice. So I'm thinking I would have to re-home both sub males if I remove them.

Here is a pic of dom male. Based on appearance of when they arrived 3 months ago and now, I think they have all reached age of full sexual maturity (perhaps 7 or 8 months old). You can see a sub male at the edge of the pic.

PXL_20240317_135456676.jpg.30bb4b932cfa68c2a477efa5d4967c66.jpg

Thanks in advance for advice!

I personally would rehome the 2 other male and keep the dominant male.

The dominant male has claimed the 29 gallon.

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2024 at 10:58 AM, Tlindsey said:

I personally would rehome the 2 other male and keep the dominant male.

The dominant male has claimed the 29 gallon.

Thanks Tlindsey! I managed to catch one to re-home today but the other (the smallest, least dominant male) keeps evading me. Do you think removing one sub male but keeping the other in there would work out? I will obviously keep trying to catch the other guy if that is best but was just wondering your take.

The one I caught was the one the dom male tends to chase the most. 

On 3/17/2024 at 12:25 PM, cmo1922 said:

Thanks Tlindsey! I managed to catch one to re-home today but the other (the smallest, least dominant male) keeps evading me. Do you think removing one sub male but keeping the other in there would work out? I will obviously keep trying to catch the other guy if that is best but was just wondering your take.

The one I caught was the one the dom male tends to chase the most. 

Tbh it will be rough for that male. Once the male and female spawn the less dominant male may be harassed by both especially by the female. 

Edited by Tlindsey

On 3/17/2024 at 12:45 PM, Tlindsey said:

Tbh it will be rough for that male. Once the male and female spawn the less dominant male may be harassed by both especially by the female. 

Thank you, I don't have a female in there, but I was finally able to catch him. I'm going to rehome them now, so it's less stressful for everyone, including myself!

Dominant boy is looking triumphant and eating some platy fry currently 😬

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 1:05 PM, cmo1922 said:

, I don't have a female in there,

But… now you have the chance to get 1 or 2 to get the tank back where you wanted it in the first place.

On 3/17/2024 at 2:52 PM, Tony s said:

But… now you have the chance to get 1 or 2 to get the tank back where you wanted it in the first place.

Haha yes you would think! Initially I did want to try and breed them. But now that I have had the apistos for a bit, I'm not really interested in that now. I think I will just keep my big guy alone, he seems like he will be happy enough. So he will be living out the rest of his days as the tank boss with unlimited access to platy fry and shrimp culls!

Thanks everyone for the advice!

• Like 2