Do I need to reseal?

I bought this 180 gallon tank used (obviously). It has been resealed once by the previous owner and has been holding water for two weeks in my garage. The silicon seems a little sloppy, and I'm able to partially lift one spot with my finger. But the caulk is very wide, over 1/2" so there is still lots has good adhesion. It's going to be in a finished basement, but with concrete floors. Obviously don't want it to leak, but if the worst should happen, it wouldn't be flooding an upstairs and leaking down through a ceiling or anything.  The bubbles on the silicone you're seeing are with the tank full. Would love opinions.

IMG_5600.jpeg

IMG_5599.jpeg

1.jpg

It’s probably fine. Done by an inexperienced caulker for sure. But the right spots were covered. More than likely. With way extra. But if it’s going to make you feel more confident in the tank. Now’s the time. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2024 at 7:05 PM, Tony s said:

It’s probably fine. Done by an inexperienced caulker for sure. But the right spots were covered. More than likely. With way extra. But if it’s going to make you feel more confident in the tank. Now’s the time. 

That’s what I was hoping to hear. I’ve never recaulked a tank and don’t trust my job to be any cleaner. It’s got a glass eurobrace at the top too so I figure that can’t hurt matters. The caulk is still really pliable so at least it’s not old and brittle. 

Edited by mrPickles
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think I’ve caulked everything but a tank. Sometimes it’s not easy. In a normal job, you probably wouldn’t notice. But since it’s a glass box. It’s very easy to see. I might have actually added more just to be safe. Not that it works that way. Of course