2.5 Gal Desktop Tank Ideas?

Hello,  

I have a 2.5 gal tank sitting around waiting for some life. Not heavily planted but does have some moss and Java ferns on some driftwood. It’s one of these: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/aqueon-black-25-gallon-led-minibow-smartclean-kit-3292643?store_code=265&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_with_promotionlocal&cm_mmc=PSH|GGL|CCY|CCO|PM|0|kUMWcWiLY5b1EHQjK6kSR6|||0|0|||18145199970&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuanM-tPWhAMVMgGtBh1rtADrEAQYASABEgKDi_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I’d appreciate any ideas on what to put in it?  I could always do a beta but maybe something else?

Thanks !

On 3/2/2024 at 2:58 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Shrimp, and only shrimp. If you wanna add something else, snails.

2.5 is extremely limiting in your options.  

Thanks, I was thinking of shrimp!  Has black substrate so bright ones could look really nice.  

• Love 1

On 3/2/2024 at 6:04 PM, yakteriyaki said:

Thanks, I was thinking of shrimp!  Has black substrate so bright ones could look really nice.  

Some male cherry shrimp would really pop on that gravel for sure! Or there is a lot others too that got some really bright colors

On 3/2/2024 at 4:00 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

how many is what I was wondering, never owned shrimp….

My first shrimp tank I started with 15, locally bred cherry shrimp. 20 long with just shrimp and snails. Bred and sold 100’s of them before converting the tank to what it is now. 

For me personally, I’d still probably start with 15. Even for a 2.5 gallon tank. Should get a nice mix of male and females that way, and if you lose a couple you’ll still have good numbers to start with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have that same tank. I'd recommend swapping out the filter for a small sponge filter. The built-in one gets stuck all the time.

I've kept cherry shrimp and a pair of Nothobranchius Killifish in it (at separate times). If you have plants and you are doing frequent water changes, then you may be able to get away with some nothos but it's easy to get lazy and have the water turn quickly.

• Like 2