CO2 Decisions Again (Sorry!)

I've stayed away from co2 since my DIY kit blew up a while back. I haven't been happy with the plant growth and algae issues since then. I lowered the light intensity a lot, but didn't like how dim it looked. I'm sure my algae problem is too much light. Another problem is all but one stem of ludwigia repens died, I hope to save my last one! 

I just started a yeast/sugar bottle that is running pretty well. I don't want to stay with that system permanently though. 

My first thought was to go with a paintball tank pressurized system. I can get a new 20oz tank around $25, and a regulator made for paintball tanks around $65. Not bad for around $90-100 in equipment. The issue is Academy sells tanks, but doesn't refill co2 anymore, and I'm pretty sure Dick's Sports doesn't either. I can't find any welding shop or gas service near me, and not sure they could refill paintball tanks either. I don't play paintball anymore, but I've ready they mostly moved to compressed air instead of co2, so even the fields/shops don't refill co2 anymore. I don't want to spend the money and not be able to get it refilled! 

My next thought is a steel co2 generator. They cost around the same as the paintball tank equipment but will require refilling every 4-6 weeks. The biggest difference is I know I can always get baking soda from Wally World and citric acid on Amazon. 

I know I can't afford a 5lb tank and regulator, and it's only a 10 gallon tank so it would be overkill. And I think the SodaStream route is too expensive for the replacement tanks. 

Anyone have experience with co2 generators? Long term use? 

Edited by A3M0N

I have no personal experience with CO2 generators but I did consider going that route.

My understanding is the purchase price for the equipment is lower up front but the cost of CO2 generated is significantly more than the cost of co2 coming in a pressurized tank. 

and then there is the regular maintenance cleaning up the tank between recharges….  And the long term reliability, adjustability of the tank and regulator did not seem to be stellar overall…

I opted to bite the bullet on pressurized…. But by the same token that is with 2, 29 gallons and a 20 high…

If I was only going with a 10 gallon, I think I would not opt for CO2 and keep mostly easy plants…

As a challenge I started a 17 gallon fish bowl recently with easy plants and no CO2 and putting into practice the horticultural practices I have learned to keep Algae at bay.    I have battled some Algae since starting it up, but far less than I did with my previous low tech attempts. I am day 5 now of no visible Algae and am hopeful. I do have Ludwigia Repens in it growing well….

IMG_2493.jpeg.b79f697714b3b478c965a930cd2b456c.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you! I told myself I wasn't going to do anything like co2 when I started the aquarium, too involved I said. Then I dabbled in the DIY co2 realm and it made a world of difference. Now it's looking sad again, not that I couldn't rescape with easier plants and lower light, but that's not what I want for this particular project. 

I've also seen figures where the material cost will eventually cost more than pressurized, but it won't do me any good if I can't find anywhere to refill paintball tanks. I really don't have room for a 5lb tank. 

I've searched the forum and seen several people have used the generators, maybe if I do end up getting one I'll start a thread chronicling my entire experience with it so it'll be there for others in the future.  I think I've kinda already made up my mind, just wanted to hear some other opinions too. 

FWIW, my son has a 20 pound tank he keeps in his basement.  He makes his own soda that he then places in pressurized containers and carbonates them.

he also has a sodatream for convenient seltzer water upstairs, and he refills the soda stream container himself.

other places to inquire about refills might be home brew supply shops, fire extinguisher service companies etc.  I have seen regulators that fit on small fire extinguisher bodies.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 5:39 PM, A3M0N said:

I've stayed away from co2 since my DIY kit blew up a while back. I haven't been happy with the plant growth and algae issues since then. I lowered the light intensity a lot, but didn't like how dim it looked. I'm sure my algae problem is too much light. Another problem is all but one stem of ludwigia repens died, I hope to save my last one! 

I just started a yeast/sugar bottle that is running pretty well. I don't want to stay with that system permanently though. 

My first thought was to go with a paintball tank pressurized system. I can get a new 20oz tank around $25, and a regulator made for paintball tanks around $65. Not bad for around $90-100 in equipment. The issue is Academy sells tanks, but doesn't refill co2 anymore, and I'm pretty sure Dick's Sports doesn't either. I can't find any welding shop or gas service near me, and not sure they could refill paintball tanks either. I don't play paintball anymore, but I've ready they mostly moved to compressed air instead of co2, so even the fields/shops don't refill co2 anymore. I don't want to spend the money and not be able to get it refilled! 

My next thought is a steel co2 generator. They cost around the same as the paintball tank equipment but will require refilling every 4-6 weeks. The biggest difference is I know I can always get baking soda from Wally World and citric acid on Amazon. 

I know I can't afford a 5lb tank and regulator, and it's only a 10 gallon tank so it would be overkill. And I think the SodaStream route is too expensive for the replacement tanks. 

Anyone have experience with co2 generators? Long term use? 

MD Fish tank uses the steel bottles on his tank.  He has great results until he gets bored and rescapes everything.

• Like 1