Rock hardscape for African Cichlid tank

jkh772

They may be a super obvious question- but any recommendation for aquarium rocks? 

Looking to try to add more hardscaping to my African Cichlid tank (55 g/sand substrate) since they dig up any plants or decorations. I found some medium sized river stone at the home store, but I'm worried with the amount they dig the rocks will shift.

1) I presume the rocks should go directly on the bottom of the tank and not sit only on the sand? Is there something else the Rocks should sit on to protect the bottom glass? 

2) I was looking at some shaped bricks at the home store to save some money- will they be ok? they appear to be formed concrete. 

3) Other than a thorough rinse- is anything needed to clean the rocks/bricks before putting them in the tank? Boiling? 

Thanks!

Dear @jkh772, I have rock dwelling Tanganyika cichlids.  To give them more hiding places, I purchased ceramic rocks.  They are hollow and have single entrances/exits.  No one has been able to tell they are fakes.  Here is a link to a vendor that sells them.  https://www.underwatergalleries.net/product-page/underwater-galleries-cichlid-stone-medium-rock-box-9-pc-kit

These "rocks" are not rough and I don't think they will harm the bottom of your tank, should your cichlids try digging to China.

Enjoy!

Best,

Andy

• Like 2

On 2/20/2024 at 6:29 AM, jkh772 said:

1) I presume the rocks should go directly on the bottom of the tank and not sit only on the sand? Is there something else the Rocks should sit on to protect the bottom glass? 

2) I was looking at some shaped bricks at the home store to save some money- will they be ok? they appear to be formed concrete. 

3) Other than a thorough rinse- is anything needed to clean the rocks/bricks before putting them in the tank? Boiling? 

1. Personally, I decide this, depending on the rock. I tend to place single rocks on top of the sand, but rock structures on the bottom of the tank. For african chiclids though, I would place them directly on the bottom, as they will dig around them and under them. To be perfectly safe, you could place them on a Polystyrene matt so spread the load over a larger area
  2. Bricks can be a great option. Personally I like using clay bricks as they don't affect the chemistry of the water. Concrete bricks will affect the PH of your water and mess with the hardness at least to start with. You can maybe soak them in water and do many water changes over a few weeks before placing them in the tank, but do keep a good eye on the parameters when you do. Especially PH, KH and GH
  3. Start with a thorough rinse under running water (this is easier outside with a hose). Then, if you use Prime or any other declorinator when you do water changes, you could simply just use a bleach solution to clean them, and rinse thoroughly with water after. Alternatively, you could use a Hydrogen peroxide solution and let them soak in that. This breaks down into water when exposed to UV (sunlight) so is maybe less dangerous than bleach.

Lastly, I will add one important advice. Make sure that if you do build a rock structure, that it is stable, and that the rocks can't fall or be moved by neither fish or you working on the tank.

• Like 1

@AAE I have a 75 gallon species only with some Chindongo Saulosi and they love their cichlid stones. I probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-40 of various sizes. It makes a really cool scape if you have enough of them and the various sizes help create a ton of depth. Their customer service is also excellent. 2 of them arrived broken so they shipped out replacements plus an extra. Great product. 

• Like 1

@mynameisnobody, that is great!  Looks like Cichlid Condos!  I love it!  Must be a blast to see how your fish interact with the rocks.  Here is a photo of my cichlid rocks - the are turned to hide the openings.  I fed the fish to bring them out in the open - usually, some are hiding.  Thanks for sharing.image.jpeg.d2f5ff3a7a6e623ee90814081abc05e9.jpeg

• Like 2

@mynameisnobody, I have 2 broods of brichardi in the tank - the older ones are about 1/3" long - maybe there are 10?  The others are teeny fry and there is a bunch.  The juli treads carefully and is sometimes chased by the brichardi.  The juli was hiding except for meals.  The juli and brichardi have been together for years.  Since I have added more plants to the tank, the juli is often out.

• Like 1