Snails dying and/or ailing

cotasm

On 2/18/2024 at 11:23 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I would suggest becoming more comfortable with just a standard tank first.

Thank you for your advice, @AllFishNoBrakes. Normally, I'm more of a go-for-it kind of person, but in this case, you're right. Crawl before walking. I can imagine being frustrated with algae issues getting out of control, and it's probably easier to learn how to balance in a standard tank. The only tank I've had is this current beginner, non-planted tank, and I got frustrated with my one occasion of green water and tried many non-chemical options to get it under control before temporarily resorting to a UV filter to take care of it, and it's been fine ever since.

Again, I know I'm straying from the original topic, so I'll just ask this one thing and then start another thread if I need help: After getting another tank, prepping with proper substrate, deciding on plants and inhabitants, etc., I'm thinking my first step will be to add a sponge filter to my existing tank (currently has a HOB) for a while with the intent of transferring that to the new tank to get a jump-start on cycling, which I think I've read is what people do sometimes when they need to quickly set up a hospital/quarantine tank. Is that an okay thing to do, or should I get the cycle going from scratch like I did with my current one?

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 11:39 AM, cotasm said:

Is that an okay thing to do, or should I get the cycle going from scratch like I did with my current one?

That’s absolutely a great thing to do. If you’re already thinking of more tanks, I would personally buy a sponge filter and air pump and get it running in your established tank. The longer the better. 

From there, when you have the new tank, squeeze that filter into the new tank, put the filter in the tank, and you’re basically instantly able to do the initial stocking of a small number of fish. Obviously test often and look out for any issues, but it’s one of the best things you can possibly do. 

If you can afford it, buy the sponge filter and air pump now and get it going. One less thing you have to worry about when it comes to actually setting up the next tank. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Thanks 1

It should go good but with everything u do, DO NOT RUSH SO FAST THAT U WAIT like a week. Cycles go a long way with helping the tank be ready for that ammonia which comes from fish poop, xtra food etc. This will help soooo much to be patient, your fish will love u if u have everything set up and going for them, that is a great idea about the HOB and sponge transfer, that will work. Hope this helps! @cotasm

On 2/20/2024 at 1:39 PM, cotasm said:

Thank you for your advice, @AllFishNoBrakes. Normally, I'm more of a go-for-it kind of person, but in this case, you're right. Crawl before walking. I can imagine being frustrated with algae issues getting out of control, and it's probably easier to learn how to balance in a standard tank. The only tank I've had is this current beginner, non-planted tank, and I got frustrated with my one occasion of green water and tried many non-chemical options to get it under control before temporarily resorting to a UV filter to take care of it, and it's been fine ever since.

Again, I know I'm straying from the original topic, so I'll just ask this one thing and then start another thread if I need help: After getting another tank, prepping with proper substrate, deciding on plants and inhabitants, etc., I'm thinking my first step will be to add a sponge filter to my existing tank (currently has a HOB) for a while with the intent of transferring that to the new tank to get a jump-start on cycling, which I think I've read is what people do sometimes when they need to quickly set up a hospital/quarantine tank. Is that an okay thing to do, or should I get the cycle going from scratch like I did with my current one?

Thanks.

• Thanks 1