Brown Algae?

I have a used tank that I have cleaned, re-silicone and is in cycle right now. No fish or plants are in it right now, and I have yet to add my filter still but I do have an airstone in there for the time being. I have some smooth gravel, driftwood, and pink quartz rocks in there. I noticed that I have some brown spots showing up on the glass and was wondering what it was? Is this an algae or some organism? My Nitrates are lower than they were when the brown spots weren't there (or I didn't notice them) a couple of days ago. Is it a problem? I'm a little surprised to see it as I don't have a light for the tank yet.PXL_20240214_030201515.jpg.89e5b11394e202dc67d43d44aa7a88a6.jpg

• Like 1

It does indeed look like algae from here. I'd guess it to be diatom.

I haven't seen it grow in spots like this, but maybe its some imperfection on the glass or left over from before?
Diatom are pretty common in newly established tanks and is usually a phase that they grow out of. In some cases though, it can be due to high silicates in the tapwater or from the gravel/substrate or due to high phosphates (if I remember right)

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 4:13 AM, EggShappedFish said:

It does indeed look like algae from here. I'd guess it to be diatom.

I haven't seen it grow in spots like this, but maybe its some imperfection on the glass or left over from before?
Diatom are pretty common in newly established tanks and is usually a phase that they grow out of. In some cases though, it can be due to high silicates in the tapwater or from the gravel/substrate or due to high phosphates (if I remember right)

Diatom I think. It will go away. If u don’t like the look, clean every water change. So common.

That is a interesting looking diatom algae though…but I am. 99.9% sure it is diatoms, not really algae @pancake

On 2/13/2024 at 10:05 PM, pancake said:

I have a used tank that I have cleaned, re-silicone and is in cycle right now. No fish or plants are in it right now, and I have yet to add my filter still but I do have an airstone in there for the time being. I have some smooth gravel, driftwood, and pink quartz rocks in there. I noticed that I have some brown spots showing up on the glass and was wondering what it was? Is this an algae or some organism? My Nitrates are lower than they were when the brown spots weren't there (or I didn't notice them) a couple of days ago. Is it a problem? I'm a little surprised to see it as I don't have a light for the tank yet.PXL_20240214_030201515.jpg.89e5b11394e202dc67d43d44aa7a88a6.jpg