Rimless tank. To reseal or not to reseal?

MidnightBel

My mom got me a 10 gallon rimless tank after hearing how much I loved the look of them. The silicone seems to be a thin bead on the interior. I've read conlicting reviews on leaks or failing within 2 years, 6 months, or even 2 months in. Sometimes even a few days or weeks in. Should I reseal it before setting it up?

Every tank I've owned thus far the sealing might not have looked pretty, and was a bit thick, but that was made me confident in it. I have a new bottle of aquarium silicone, but have never done this before. Was planning to use for shaping. Would hate to set this up only to have it burst within the first year. Does the seal look okay? There is also one side that feels like it might be slightly higher than the other ones. I'm used to the seal being spread out more like the image with the arrow . 20240212_154314.jpg.58b9491e5fdfdad67fe1ade03d420517.jpg

20240212_155527.jpg

In your standard tank with the wide silicone seal, the seal being wide doesn’t actually add any structural integrity. The silicone between the glass panels is the only part that matters. 

Part of the appeal to a rimless tank is that it doesn’t have the excess silicone for a sleeker look. Same structural integrity, better look.

My cube is rimless and has been set up for over 2 years and not a single issue. You run the same amount of risk for leaks, cracks, tanks busting at the seams, etc. as a rimmed tank with the wide silicone. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 2

Run your finger along the outside, if the glass seems to be uniform and the same from top to bottom, it's probably fine. where the glass buts up to each other if you can't feel a gap or bubble, you should be good. The parts where the glass meet is where the strength is. the interior round bead is to smooth out the main seem. and it does add a small bit to waterproofing, but not much

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 5:52 PM, Tony s said:

Run your finger along the outside, if the glass seems to be uniform and the same from top to bottom, it's probably fine. where the glass buts up to each other if you can't feel a gap or bubble, you should be good. The parts where the glass meet is where the strength is. the interior round bead is to smooth out the main seem. and it does add a small bit to waterproofing, but not much

It seems there might be a gap or indent in one section on one side. The rest seem good.

Edited by MidnightBel