Sand in my AquaClear 50

Stef

Ugh, so my 6 month old AquaClear 50 seems to be burned out. I’ve cleaned out the impeller and the area the impeller sits in and found some sand and sand dust. When I put it back together and plug it in, it runs for a day and burns out. Today I found a lot of sand granules under the media basket. I think it’s toast. I also had been using an intake extender.  The bottom of the intake tube sat about 4 inches above the sand  

The tank is a 40 gal breeder with two large Ranchus and a black moor goldfish. I just upgraded them and the sand is new (Imagitarium black sand). The tank also has a large coop sponge and water params are holding steady. 

So should I replace the filter and use a pre filter sponge?  Will the sand just migrate again?  Should I just double up on sponge filters and forget about hobs?  Remove one of the intake extenders? I was about to use more of this sand in the Ranchus now empty semi bare bottom tank with this same sand but that also has an AquaClear 30 and don’t want to be in the same boat.  

Just not sure if this sand was the right pick for goldfish. My first time using it. Or the extender tube was the problem. 

IMG_2043.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 2:13 PM, Stef said:

Ugh, so my 6 month old AquaClear 50 seems to be burned out. I’ve cleaned out the impeller and the area the impeller sits in and found some sand and sand dust. When I put it back together and plug it in, it runs for a day and burns out. Today I found a lot of sand granules under the media basket. I think it’s toast. I also had been using an intake extender.  The bottom of the intake tube sat about 4 inches above the sand  

The tank is a 40 gal breeder with two large Ranchus and a black moor goldfish. I just upgraded them and the sand is new (Imagitarium black sand). The tank also has a large coop sponge and water params are holding steady. 

So should I replace the filter and use a pre filter sponge?  Will the sand just migrate again?  Should I just double up on sponge filters and forget about hobs?  Remove one of the intake extenders? I was about to use more of this sand in the Ranchus now empty semi bare bottom tank with this same sand but that also has an AquaClear 30 and don’t want to be in the same boat.  

Just not sure if this sand was the right pick for goldfish. My first time using it. Or the extender tube was the problem. 

IMG_2043.jpeg

@Stef I personally would replace the filter especially if it not running properly. If you decide to go with another Fluval AC 50 yes place a pre-filter on the intake. I would personally raise intake. 

I went with another AC 50. It was on sale and I have others I can use parts from the broken one. I didn’t extend the intake tube and placed a pre filter sponge. Looks crappy but hope that keeps the sand out. I don’t think I going to use the Imagitarium sand again. 

@Galabar how does a filter with an in-tank pump prevent sand getting sucked up?

IMG_2095.jpeg

• Like 1

I've had sand end up in the impellor/motor in shelldweller tanks (running AC 20 or 50), but never anything else. @Stef Do you see the same sand on top of the rock decoration you have? Or on the sponge filter or the (fake?) moss ball? It seems weird to me that the goldies would either pick up and spit out sand right into the intake, or even stir the sand up enough that it "naturally" rises to 4" above the bottom. 

You said the sand is new. I wonder if you're seeing a one and done sort of problem? Like after you added the new sand, there was some initial amount of less heavy particles that stayed suspended and made their way into the filter, but now that everything is settled you won't see the issue any more, whether you use an extender or not. 

Forgive the "working tank" nature of the pic below, but here's a mod you might try: I found that the diameter of the uplift tubes on the ACs matches 1/2" PEX and CPVC tubing, so you can make your own extensions without any adapters. By running the blue pex tube down to the bottom of the tank, then turning it up via two 90 degree elbows, then putting the slotted conical grey plastic tube end point up not down, the prefilter sits better on the intake, and gravity and suction work together to keep it in place. Eg the sponge can't fall off, even if the motor is off. And removing the sponge for maintenance is WAY easier this way. Yes it looks terrible, but you could paint the blue and cream parts black easily enough. 

image.png.4f7ef62249c16a95b9efa687311d47dc.png

@TOtrees, that is a hot rodded hob! I Iike it!  I did a water change tonight. The first since setting it up. There was sand on the seriyu stone and all over the fake moss ball. I brushed off the stones and shook out the moss ball and will check if it returns. I did see one of the fish scoot fast past the gravel vac tube and sand did rooster tail behind him about 2-3 inches. He’s a big fish and this sand is so light