Honey Gourami Fry Survival in Community Tank

Stef

So I have two male honeys in a 20 gal long display tank. Their tank mates are 6 ember tetras and a BN Pleco plus a few amano shrimp and loads of ramshorn snails. I would love to get 2-3 more honeys and my lfs has lots of females. My question is more about not breeding. If I let nature take its course, what are the odds of being over run with fry?  I don’t want to add more males.

Both males have their own bubble nests on opposite sides of the tank. They spar occasionally and are absolutely adorable. I’d like this tank to be just for a gourami family but not overrun and overstocked. 

IMG_1942.jpeg

IMG_1941.jpeg

• Love 2

On 2/8/2024 at 9:55 AM, Stef said:

So I have two male honeys in a 20 gal long display tank. Their tank mates are 6 ember tetras and a BN Pleco plus a few amano shrimp and loads of ramshorn snails. I would love to get 2-3 more honeys and my lfs has lots of females. My question is more about not breeding. If I let nature take its course, what are the odds of being over run with fry?  I don’t want to add more males.

Both males have their own bubble nests on opposite sides of the tank. They spar occasionally and are absolutely adorable. I’d like this tank to be just for a gourami family but not overrun and overstocked. 

IMG_1942.jpeg

IMG_1941.jpeg

The Ember Tetras will definitely eat some of the fry.