when to add an oscar

Elyse

I have a 125g set up with silver dollars; a severum, jewel cichlid, and blood parrot. The silver dollars are a descent size already but everyone else is 2-3 inches in size. I know oscars grow very quickly. How long should I wait / how large should tank mates be before adding an oscar? 

THANKS!

Imo I’d do it soon it’s true that the Oscar will group faster than the rest of the fish but throwing a small Oscar in an aquarium with already established fish can end badly there really not made for fighting so there size is what helps them in an aquarium with aggressive fish as long as everyone else will be more than 4or5 inches in a year the Oscar can’t eat them it should be fine after that it’s just luck if they get along 

this is assuming the Oscar is normal pet store size 

• Like 2

On 2/5/2024 at 2:26 PM, face said:

Imo I’d do it soon it’s true that the Oscar will group faster than the rest of the fish but throwing a small Oscar in an aquarium with already established fish can end badly there really not made for fighting so there size is what helps them in an aquarium with aggressive fish as long as everyone else will be more than 4or5 inches in a year the Oscar can’t eat them it should be fine after that it’s just luck if they get along 

@face totally agree with you. 

On 2/5/2024 at 2:26 PM, face said:

okay, I'll have to look up how big the other fish will be at one year and go from there...thank you!

It looks like my jewel cichlid is going to be the slowest grower; he's about 2 inches right now. I can't find a conclusive answer; but do we think he'll be 4 inches by 1 year old? 

On 2/5/2024 at 4:01 PM, Elyse said:

It looks like my jewel cichlid is going to be the slowest grower; he's about 2 inches right now. I can't find a conclusive answer; but do we think he'll be 4 inches by 1 year old? 

Ya it should be ok no personal experience with them but it will probably be fine they seem to take a couple years to be fully grown but you just need him to be to big to be eaten 

just make sure to keep an eye on aggression with cichlids it’s always a gamble if they get along 

• Like 1

So far everyone is getting along pretty well. The jewel is top dog but is only actively aggressive when another fish gets into his bubble. I’ll be adding an albino Oscar soon. Thank ya’ll! 

• 4 weeks later...