How do I change my filter cartridge the RIGHT way?

So, I have been changing my fish tank filters for almost 2 years now but, do I stick the cartridge in front of the old one or……I just don’t want to kill the bacteria in the cartridge. I have to change the cartridge tomorrow…advice? Gotta hang on back filter that comes with the topfin 5 gallon kit. Please help.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 7:44 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Ditch the cartridges and go with a coarse sponge pad instead that can be cleaned out and will last 10 years+

Yes I agree It saves you money. 

On 2/2/2024 at 7:29 PM, Bigdog99 said:

So, I have been changing my fish tank filters for almost 2 years now but, do I stick the cartridge in front of the old one or……I just don’t want to kill the bacteria in the cartridge. I have to change the cartridge tomorrow…advice? Gotta hang on back filter that comes with the topfin 5 gallon kit. Please help.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 7:44 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Ditch the cartridges and go with a coarse sponge pad instead that can be cleaned out and will last 10 years+

Sooo u just put inside the filter like the other one right….I have a year supply of cartridges sooo I prob will wait as I need to change tomorrow. Advice on how..

On 2/2/2024 at 7:49 PM, Tlindsey said:

Yes I agree It saves you money. 

Could u gimme a link? Of this cartridge pad thing…

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 7:55 PM, Bigdog99 said:

Sooo u just put inside the filter like the other one right….I have a year supply of cartridges sooo I prob will wait as I need to change tomorrow. Advice on how..

Could u gimme a link? Of this cartridge pad thing…

There are several brands

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-2-pack-filter-sponges

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:04 PM, Tlindsey said:

Yes I would place the new cartridge in front of old. You may have enough beneficial bacteria in your filter to not affect anything. 

On 2/2/2024 at 8:05 PM, Bigdog99 said:

So is this a one size fits all or no? @Tlindsey

You can buy cut to fit pads. That's what I did. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:06 PM, Tlindsey said:

Yes I would place the new cartridge in front of old. You may have enough beneficial bacteria in your filter to not affect anything. 

You can buy cut to fit pads. That's what I did. 

Thanks a lot! 

• Like 1

Here's an example of how I (slightly) modified a Tetra Whisper IQ to add a sponge.  With that, I just swap out the cartridge (around $0.50) and rely on the sponge for biological filtration.

filter1.jpeg

filter2.jpeg

Edited by Galabar
  • Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 9:33 PM, Galabar said:

Here's an example of how I (slightly) modified a Tetra Whisper IQ to add a sponge.  With that, I just swap out the cartridge (around $0.50) and rely on the sponge for biological filtration.

filter1.jpeg

filter2.jpeg

Wow. Thanks for that pic. Was a little confused on how but now yeah I got it. 🙂 thanks @Galabar

@Galabar, Q, does this sponge thing slow the flow? Because my betta doesn’t like a lot of flow!