Can i use my coffee maker to make rapashy?

It's hard to know how much coffee would actually end up in the water, but caffeine and other compounds found in coffee beans can be nasty chemicals, especially to organisms with mucous membrane interfaces and exposed tissues like gills because the uptake into the body is much more rapid than it is in us mammals. Plus, fish and invertebrates are tiny, so it takes lower concentrations to affect them than it does for us. Bottom line: I wouldn't want to risk getting any caffeine or other coffee compounds in my aquarium.

Go out and buy an electric kettle. The cheapest one you can find. They're usually in the realm of $10-15 USD. It'll be much better for mixing up repashy. Plus, you can use it for all sorts of other things. Aside from heating up water for tea and other drinks, I use mine to pre-boil water for pasta and such. It's a lot faster than the stove. If you don't want to buy an appliance (understandable), you'll probably just want to heat up water on the stove or in the microwave.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2024 at 7:33 PM, Scapexghost said:

If i run just water through the maker, can i use that to make rapashy? Is the small coffee residue gonna cause problems

No.  You can use basically any coffee maker to get warm water, but it's almost NEVER boiling.  With repashy you really do need some hot water.

for reference:

• Thanks 1