Recurring White Fin Growth on Balloonfish Molly

balloonfishmolly123

Hi everyone, I have a balloonfish molly that keeps having white patchy growths on its fins (see the circled area in the pictures). I thought this was a bacterial infection, so I treated with Kanaplex. However, the growth keeps coming back after treatment, as I already did 2 rounds of medication.

Does anyone know what this disease is and how I should treat it?

Tank specs: 20 gallon long, HOB Aqueon filter and sponge filter, heater, light set for 8 hours per day, started 4/2023

Tankmates: clownfish pleco, panda garra, 2 guppies, neon tetra, aquatic plants

Feeding: feed 1 pinch of micro pellets, freeze-dried tubifex worms, or micro wafers every day, feed small pieces of algae wafer and pleco wafer every other day

Cleaning habits: change around 20% of water (5 gallons) every week with gravel vacuuming

I've also noticed that my tank consistently has dark blue hair algae.

Molly: I got the fish about 3 months ago and quarantined first. It seems to still eat, but I often see it hanging near the bottom of the tank in the day (more active at night).

Water Parameters:

• pH: 8.2
  • Nitrates: between 0-5 ppm
  • Nitrite: 0 ppm
  • Ammonia: 0 ppm
  • Water Temperature: around 80 degrees Fahrenheit

IMG_4541.jpg

IMG_4549.jpg

On 1/24/2024 at 2:30 AM, balloonfishmolly123 said:

Hi everyone, I have a balloonfish molly that keeps having white patchy growths on its fins (see the circled area in the pictures). I thought this was a bacterial infection, so I treated with Kanaplex. However, the growth keeps coming back after treatment, as I already did 2 rounds of medication.

Does anyone know what this disease is and how I should treat it?

Tank specs: 20 gallon long, HOB Aqueon filter and sponge filter, heater, light set for 8 hours per day, started 4/2023

Tankmates: clownfish pleco, panda garra, 2 guppies, neon tetra, aquatic plants

Feeding: feed 1 pinch of micro pellets, freeze-dried tubifex worms, or micro wafers every day, feed small pieces of algae wafer and pleco wafer every other day

Cleaning habits: change around 20% of water (5 gallons) every week with gravel vacuuming

I've also noticed that my tank consistently has dark blue hair algae.

Molly: I got the fish about 3 months ago and quarantined first. It seems to still eat, but I often see it hanging near the bottom of the tank in the day (more active at night).

Water Parameters:

• pH: 8.2
  • Nitrates: between 0-5 ppm
  • Nitrite: 0 ppm
  • Ammonia: 0 ppm
  • Water Temperature: around 80 degrees Fahrenheit

IMG_4541.jpg

IMG_4549.jpg

Can you get a picture with a side on view of the white growth is it flat or raised does it have a fuzzy appearance 

Could be a fungal infection picture aren't good enough quality to say for sure what I would do is quarantine and treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for two weeks go from There if your seeing no improvement 

On 1/25/2024 at 2:03 AM, balloonfishmolly123 said:

@Colu Sounds good- thanks! Do you have any advice on how to prevent this infection?

Fungal infections often occur  were the skin has been damaged though injury bacterial or parasitic infections  something else could be going on such as bacterial infections that can also cause white patches I would start with  aquarium salt you could add a dose of ick X and let it marinate while treating with aquarium salt if you notice no improvement after a week or it get worse  then I would follow up with a course of jungal fungus clear fizz tabs 

Edited by Colu