Bottom sitting goldfish with rapid breathing

mariparfait

40 gallon tank

parameters: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate, ph 7.6

Hi, one out of two of my goldfish has been bottom sitting for well over a month with periodical rapid breathing, pivoting upward before resettling back onto the substrate. I've been unable to find any external signs of illness and it will still eat provided I place food in front of it. Thinking it was flukes, I tried Prazipro which was ineffective, then onto a Kanaplex food treatment thinking it was a bacterial infection (I did not use Focus because I wasn't aware you needed it for binding) which also gave no signs of relief. This behavior has been consistent throughout the duration of the illness and has remained the same with no signs of worsening or bettering. I'm extremely lost as to what this is and I would appreciate any help in diagnosing it. Thanks

image0.jpg

ezgif-1-75999578c7.gif

Edited by mariparfait

@mariparfaitCould be an issue with the swim bladder you would want to do epsom  salt baths  1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to help relieve pressure on the swim bladder 

On 1/22/2024 at 7:52 PM, Colu said:

@mariparfaitCould be an issue with the swim bladder you would want to do epsom  salt baths  1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to help relieve pressure on the swim bladder 

Thank you. This seems to be working after the first treatment. My fish is swimming around again albeit still with some mild breathing issues. Is it possible to space out the treatments as being every other day for recovery or is it necessary to do it daily? Netting them for the bath seems to be extremely stressful for them.

On 1/26/2024 at 11:11 PM, mariparfait said:

Thank you. This seems to be working after the first treatment. My fish is swimming around again albeit still with some mild breathing issues. Is it possible to space out the treatments as being every other day for recovery or is it necessary to do it daily? Netting them for the bath seems to be extremely stressful for them.

You could do every other day if your fish is  finding it very stressful cut the time in the epsom salt bath to 10 minutes 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I'm bumping the thread because the illness has returned. I finished her epsom salt treatments on February 5th, she seemed to be recovering up until yesterday morning where she began to bottom sit again inexplicably, although she does not pivot upward and breathe rapidly anymore which is good. The bottom sitting has continued all the way into this morning. Should I restart the epsom salt bath treatments or try something else?

Edited by mariparfait