Not a peep (or croak) from my Sparkling Gouramis

Pepere

I bought some Sparkling Gouramis from Aqua Huna that arrived about 2-3 months ago.  They are certainly bigger when they arrived, and are all getting along fine currently.

No croaking perceived yet.  Any idea how old , mature they need to be before they start making audible sounds?

On 1/20/2024 at 9:35 AM, Pepere said:

I bought some Sparkling Gouramis from Aqua Huna that arrived about 2-3 months ago.  They are certainly bigger when they arrived, and are all getting along fine currently.

No croaking perceived yet.  Any idea how old , mature they need to be before they start making audible sounds?

@Pepere Hope this helps.https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/917-croaking-vs-sparkling-gouramis/

I had them croak daily. Usually with the first lights hitting the room while Im sleeping but tank lights off. There have been times I woke up this, Im not kidding.

I got me a group of three but it was very hard to sex so I ended up having 2 males and one f.  The males fighting for domination was when they were croaking almost all the time

If you have only one, or a group of female, or maybe even just one male and females, Im not sure if they will croak

Males spar each other, do circles around and move their bodys and shake. Now that Im thinking, very similar to what I see on pesudomugils

You can see the females around looking at them like

”boys will be boys” 🙄🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

On 1/20/2024 at 10:43 PM, Pepere said:

I have 4 of them. I guess I will look up to see how to tell them apart.

Males are are much more flashy and have longer fins when they are ready to breed just like in the video compared to others swimming around in the back

but you can also check for ovaries. it is just hard to see irl imo

77B557E9-9E72-456E-B0FF-ED892F3E2D4C.jpeg.4a4a0741db68f2879521819aa23fc653.jpeg

I lost my other male due to a disease. I have not heard a single croak since then

• Like 1

It's tricky. They very well could be making the sound but if you haven't learned what it sounds like you may just not be hearing it.

The first time I heard it, I was working late so everyone else was asleep and the whole house was quiet. Then I heard this creaking noise periodically. It took me like four or five times to put it together that it was coming from the aquarium.

After that I would hear it at least a few times a week and it turned to come in bursts. Every time I would ask my wife if she heard it and she acted like I was crazy. Then eventually I took the kids to something while she was home sick and she texted me "They're croaking!"

I have two males and a female. The males seem like they have their little territories on either side of the tank but occasionally they'll all meet up in the middle and croak at each other.

It's really hard to tell male from female normally when they're at the size you see in stores.

I heard one for the first time last night.  They were tiny when I got them definitely very young.  I think I have 2 male and 2 female.  Of the two suspected males 1 is about 50% bigger. 

They are kept in my 17 gallon fish bowl in the kitchen and last night I was sitting at the kitchen table  and heard one for the first time.    I know the sound from FootheFlowerhorn walstead tank videos.  That video is largely what inspired me to get back into the hobby…

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/24/2024 at 3:04 AM, Pepere said:

I heard one for the first time last night.

Yay! I bet you'll start hearing it more and more often.

I just checked back on this thread because I was eating a bowl of cereal and my wife said "They're croaking again!" So I paused to listen, nothing, so I start eating again, and then she says "there they are again".

That went back and forth like that multiple times

• Haha 1