Ok to add Juvenile apisto in parent tank?

Jaspyjasp

Hey community !

Is it ok to move a 5 month yr old apisto female in with her parents in the display tank? I JUST rearranged their tank so im thinking this could be a good time? 👀Their tank is 36x12x12  with a lot of plants and nooks/caves. Or should I continue to raise her bigger? I’m asking bc there are two more apisto fry that are also 5 months but 1/4 if the size!! Want to get them to be bigger but maybe they can’t because the dominant one is so “big” (??)

Thank u for any insight! Theres not a lot about when to add juvenile apistos back with their parents on the web :((

1AA9E824-CBEA-4AD2-A4E5-E83AB42D1C34.jpeg

1B76B459-E871-4C87-BB8B-7B4C3219815F.jpeg

D26884BF-B73B-44C5-9960-115F14758515.jpeg

On 1/10/2024 at 11:10 PM, Jaspyjasp said:

Hey community !

Is it ok to move a 5 month yr old apisto female in with her parents in the display tank? I JUST rearranged their tank so im thinking this could be a good time? 👀Their tank is 36x12x12  with a lot of plants and nooks/caves. Or should I continue to raise her bigger? I’m asking bc there are two more apisto fry that are also 5 months but 1/4 if the size!! Want to get them to be bigger but maybe they can’t because the dominant one is so “big” (??)

Thank u for any insight! Theres not a lot about when to add juvenile apistos back with their parents on the web :((

1AA9E824-CBEA-4AD2-A4E5-E83AB42D1C34.jpeg

1B76B459-E871-4C87-BB8B-7B4C3219815F.jpeg

D26884BF-B73B-44C5-9960-115F14758515.jpeg

@Jaspyjasp I  personally would be worried if the parents spawned. The smaller apisto would be harassed by the parents. Your aquarium is heavily planted that may help.

On 1/10/2024 at 8:30 PM, Tlindsey said:

@Jaspyjasp I  personally would be worried if the parents spawned. The smaller apisto would be harassed by the parents. Your aquarium is heavily planted that may help.

Hey @Tlindsey

they have not spawned yet. They had (obviously that first time) but now that they’re back together, the daddy has not been that happy with mom back in the tank. Wondering if adding another female might help? But yeah i dont want the little babe to get too harrassed generally as it’s about 3/4”.

On 1/10/2024 at 11:45 PM, Jaspyjasp said:

Hey @Tlindsey

they have not spawned yet. They had (obviously that first time) but now that they’re back together, the daddy has not been that happy with mom back in the tank. Wondering if adding another female might help? But yeah i dont want the little babe to get too harrassed generally as it’s about 3/4”.

I would let the little female grow a bit to atleast sexual maturity. I'm no expert on apistogramma and hopefully others chime in with their thoughts. 

• Like 1