Question about medaka breeding

Mattyd123

Hey everyone! 

got into medaka breeding last year but so far ive only bred the orange strain

ive recently ordered a fancy strain from Japan, theyre black bodies with a red head with long fins (pretty sure the name is red dragon but there was a bit of language barrier between me and the seller hahaa) 

but ive managed to get 17 fry from the eggs

but the main question i have is once they have grown up could they be mixed with other strains if when it comes to breeding them i just seperate them back out from the other strains or are they like guppies where if you mixed two strains you would ruin the genetics even if you seperated them back out? 

hopefully ive explained that question well enough haha

No way would I mix them. I'm assuming you paid an arm and a leg for the eggs, so each and every fry you raise will be valuable and precious. If A is "normal" and Z is your "red dragon" strain, if you mix A and Z, you won't get babies that are either A or Z, you'll get all letters of the alphabet. And virtually no Zs. 

But what i wamt to know is if i put them together as a temporary thing, then i split them back up and say didnt harvest any eggs for a week or two, and then harvested eggs from the two respective groups would they be okay, or are they like guppies that hold the genetic material of all previous mates and so could no longer create “pure” lines 

On 1/5/2024 at 3:54 PM, Mattyd123 said:

But what i wamt to know is if i put them together as a temporary thing, then i split them back up and say didnt harvest any eggs for a week or two, and then harvested eggs from the two respective groups would they be okay, or are they like guppies that hold the genetic material of all previous mates and so could no longer create “pure” lines 

Well since the eggs could have been fertilized by random other strains, there's no way to tell if the offspring is pure or just holding recessive offtraits.

You could house them temporarily together then remove them to breed, but that's the only way I can tell to keep the strain pure

• Like 1