duckweed

hey, I'm new and researched keeping duckweed from getting sucked into my filter.  I can't seem to find the thread.....but did what was suggested and made a little "boom" out of irrigation tubing.  The idea was great and it worked, but I still have so much current from the pour-over filter.  My tank is small.......5 gal........is this the problem??  It's a classroom tank, I'm a teacher and really want to get some cool tanks going with plants.

• Like 2

That's great you keep a tank in your classroom! My son and I helped out a 5th Grade class several years ago set up a 20 gal long tank, and then a 33 gal long. It was a lot of fun! We made some videos . . . I'll try to find examples . . . 

This one was the 20 long from 4x years ago...

And here was the 33 gal long from 3 years ago...

Depending on the filter you are using, you might find that the duckweed will not "stay put." You can buy an aqascaping net, and catch out most all of it if you want to. Otherwise, just wisk off a punch every few days to keep it from getting out of hand.

I do recommend a larger tank. Smaller tanks are much more chemically unstable than larger volumes of water. I'd say that a 20 gal long is a perfect tank size.

• Like 1