Dropsy?

Steele

I was wondering what you guys think this may be. I posted a few weeks ago about my pseudomugil gertrudae slowly dying off. Becoming discolored and lethargic. Went two weeks without losing another and here another one is sick. I pulled him out and put him in a cup for examination. Do you guys think this is dropsy? I treated the tank the other day with expel p thinking it may be an internal parasite, but now looking at him and his scales raised up I'm thinking dropsy? What do you guys think and how should I treat the tank to prevent other casualties? He is also moving his mouth a bit fast but not gulping at rhe surface. TiA

20231228_170035.jpg

20231228_165755.jpg

20231228_165753.jpg

pineconing has a couple of causes internal bacterial infections organ failure causing fluid builds parasitic infections can also pineconing the most effective treatment I have found when you see pineconing is maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days metroplex to dose the tank and aquarium salt 1 table spoon that will help reduce fluid buildup @Steele

1000000026.png

• Like 1

Thank you for the response. I ordered some maracyn 2. I plan on doing the dosing regime on the packet for it since unfortunately I think it may be too late for this little guy by the time I get it. I'm thinking the maracyn 2 will at least cure any underlying issues in the remaining inhabitants in the tank. Any input on that would be greatly appreciated. 

On 12/29/2023 at 1:53 AM, Steele said:

Thank you for the response. I ordered some maracyn 2. I plan on doing the dosing regime on the packet for it since unfortunately I think it may be too late for this little guy by the time I get it. I'm thinking the maracyn 2 will at least cure any underlying issues in the remaining inhabitants in the tank. Any input on that would be greatly appreciated. 

With what you described with lost of colour and being lethargic more likely to be a bacterial infection maracyn2 is a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment if you see any other fish showing symptoms I would treat straight away with maracyn2 

Whatever it is seems to kill a fish every week or two from my first batch of pseudomugil gertrudae. I haven't lost any dwarf emerald rasbora or any of my new batch of pseudomogul gertrudae but only had these for about a week. I shouldn't have purchased my new ones when I did, but we all make mistakes. It's all about prevention now since it's too late, so I figured dose tge marcyn 2 when I get it to heal any fish with the underlying issue. Does that sound smart?

On 12/29/2023 at 3:32 AM, Steele said:

Whatever it is seems to kill a fish every week or two from my first batch of pseudomugil gertrudae. I haven't lost any dwarf emerald rasbora or any of my new batch of pseudomogul gertrudae but only had these for about a week. I shouldn't have purchased my new ones when I did, but we all make mistakes. It's all about prevention now since it's too late, so I figured dose tge marcyn 2 when I get it to heal any fish with the underlying issue. Does that sound smart?

The new fish could have a compromised immune system that why it's affecting them and not your other fish when fish have been kept in tank for a long time they can develop immunity to some bacteria in your tank when you add new fish they can start to die the other fish will remain healthy and unaffected 

I mustve worded it wrong. I had 6 original pseudomugil gertrudae aru 4. Got the 12 rasboras a few weeks later and then got 12 new regular pseudomogul last week. No issues with any fish besides the original 6. When this male passes away I'll only have a female from the original 6. Ever since losing the first few I've tested parameters everyday, so I know that's not the issue.