Tumor ?

whitetraashing

Hi there! I hope someone can help me identify the lump on my goldfish and even offer tips 🥺

I’m a teacher and a two years ago I was gifted two little goldfish for a class pet with 0 knowledge in caring for fish. I’ve someone managed to keep them alive this far and they’re two pretty big gals now lol. I’ve noticed recently that one of them has started developing this lump on her side; it started as just a spot that was a bit darker than the rest of her and before I knew it, it’s looking more like a blister or maybe even a tumor. 

I’m totally in over my head and I’m just open to any advice and tips I can get 😔

IMG_8176.jpeg

I forgot to mention, but today I actually noted a small, round bump starting to develop above this one. ☹️

On 12/18/2023 at 7:18 PM, Colu said:

What are your water parameters ammonia nitrite nitrate pH KH GH temperature how long has it had the red lump is it eating ok any rapid breathing have treated with any medication @whitetraashing

I don’t know the parameters, I didn’t even know how to check it until googling after seeing your comment 😞 the lump has been there for maybe two weeks, eating just fine and doesn’t seem at all fatigue or anything out of the norm. I haven’t treated with meds because i’m very ignorant with this kind of thing; i wouldn’t know where to start or what to use 

On 12/19/2023 at 3:57 AM, whitetraashing said:

I don’t know the parameters, I didn’t even know how to check it until googling after seeing your comment 😞 the lump has been there for maybe two weeks, eating just fine and doesn’t seem at all fatigue or anything out of the norm. I haven’t treated with meds because i’m very ignorant with this kind of thing; i wouldn’t know where to start or what to use 

What I would suggest is getting some tests strips like the co-op test strips that test for chlorine KH GH pH Nitrate nitire and separate  ammonia test strips you want no ammonia or nitrite and low nitrate  goldfish do best with a pH of 6.5-7.5 what I would do in the meantime is treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons  as the lump looks like it could be fluid filled and the salt will help reduce fluid buildup and aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes salt is only removed though water changes  if you do a 2 gallon water change add 1 table spoon of salt back in to keep the salt at the required level for a week add an extra air stone during treatment as salt changes the viscosity of the water lowering the levels of desloved oxygen then give an update in 7days  without out knowing your water parameters its difficult to no what the cause is 

On 12/19/2023 at 5:47 AM, Colu said:

What I would suggest is getting some tests strips like the co-op test strips that test for chlorine KH GH pH Nitrate nitire and separate  ammonia test strips you want no ammonia or nitrite and low nitrate  goldfish do best with a pH of 6.5-7.5 what I would do in the meantime is treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons  as the lump looks like it could be fluid filled and the salt will help reduce fluid buildup and aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes salt is only removed though water changes  if you do a 2 gallon water change add 1 table spoon of salt back in to keep the salt at the required level for a week add an extra air stone during treatment as salt changes the viscosity of the water lowering the levels of desloved oxygen then give an update in 7days  without out knowing your water parameters its difficult to no what the cause is 

I’ll find a test strip kit asap and I’ll update you. As for the aquarium salt, is that okay for the other fish too? Sorry if that sounds dumb to ask

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 1:21 PM, whitetraashing said:

I’ll find a test strip kit asap and I’ll update you. As for the aquarium salt, is that okay for the other fish too? Sorry if that sounds dumb to ask

Salt at that  level is fine for goldfish if you have  more sensitive fish like catfish or loach I would use a lower amount of salt 

Edited by Colu
Typo
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 12:36 PM, Colu said:

Salt at that  level is fine for goldfish if you have  more sensitive fish like catfish or loach I would use a lower amount of salt 

I finally tested my water and my ammonia and CO2 levels are way off 😞 doing a big water change right now so hopefully that helps 

On 12/27/2023 at 2:23 PM, whitetraashing said:

I finally tested my water and my ammonia and CO2 levels are way off 😞 doing a big water change right now so hopefully that helps 

What I would do as your seeing ammonia is test daily and anytime you detect any ammonia do a large water change and add up to 5x the amount of prime in an emergency to help detoxify any ammonia and add an extra air stone and aquarium salt will help speed up the removal of ammonia from the blood stream of your fish to help protect the kidneys of your fish

On 12/27/2023 at 10:15 AM, Colu said:

What I would do as your seeing ammonia is test daily and anytime you detect any ammonia do a large water change and add up to 5x the amount of prime in an emergency to help detoxify any ammonia and add an extra air stone and aquarium salt will help speed up the removal of ammonia from the blood stream of your fish to help protect the kidneys of your fish

thank you so much for all the help. i hope you don’t mind if i keep you updated from time to time if something goes wrong again 

• Like 1