Is my fish constipated?

Razan

Hey guys 

im really new to the fish world and i really need help 

i got two goldfish as a gift one of them was a black moor and i think the other one is a shubunkin 

i feed them twice a day from this at dawn and sundown

IMG_3663.jpeg.44cd996f99f6b5cc10d8636294e32996.jpeg
they have a really small tank so i decided to change the water every two days i changed the water and after that my black moor died 

and i really don’t want the other to do too 

today i found this on my gold fish , after some research 😁 i learned that its a long poop that could be a sign of Constipation , my question is could it be from over feeding? Cause i generally think i over feed 

IMG_1916.jpeg.3c6f6316961fbe63fbae7a49166e5383.jpeg

Please give me a solution and any tips or words if advice 🙏🏻 

thank you 

Edited by Razan

Welcome!  Sorry about your black moor 😞  I'd cut back to just feeding once per day.  When you change water, do you use any sort of dechlorinator or water conditioner?  When you say really small tank... how small?  Do you have any sort of test strips or anything to check your water?

Long stringy poop can also be a sign of worms.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 12:07 AM, jwcarlson said:

Welcome!  Sorry about your black moor 😞  I'd cut back to just feeding once per day.  When you change water, do you use any sort of dechlorinator or water conditioner?  When you say really small tank... how small?  Do you have any sort of test strips or anything to check your water?

Long stringy poop can also be a sign of worms.

I appreciate that , once per day ? She (idk if its a she or he actually) always seems hungry so i keep feeding 😆 

and i first was scared so i used straight bottled water the second change i used our home filter water ( the same water i drink from which is not tap water ) and no i dont have test strips 😥 

i think it’s really small its a 18x10x8cm i think which is 0.26 gallons 

and what do i do about the poop  😓

On 12/6/2023 at 9:30 PM, Razan said:

I appreciate that , once per day ? She (idk if its a she or he actually) always seems hungry so i keep feeding 😆 

and i first was scared so i used straight bottled water the second change i used our home filter water ( the same water i drink from which is not tap water ) and no i dont have test strips 😥 

i think it’s really small its a 18x10x8cm i think which is 0.26 gallons 

and what do i do about the poop  😓

If you have the funds I would definitely get a bigger tank depending on the type of goldfish 55 gallon as a minimum 75 gallons would be better long term goldfish produce a lot of waste the bigger tank the better I wouldn't feed that food it's aimed at tropical fish I would feed hikari saki gold pellets that's what I feed my comet goldfish I would feed frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms twice a week what type of filter are you using do you have test kit or strips to test your water parameters ammonia nitrite nitrate pH KH GH 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

@Razan Unfortunately, with that size of tank, no fish is really going to be able to live long-term.  If at all possible, I think I'd suggest that you see if you can re-home that fish because goldfish get BIG.  If you can manage that and you've been bitten by the fish bug, then I would do some research... save some money... and hunt for deals on a larger aquarium.  Most every fish should have at least 5 gallons.  There are some shrimp and plenty of snails that can live down in smaller containers, though.  And they can be every bit as interesting to keep as fish!

If you stick with fish keeping for any length of time you'll come to understand that basically every fish thinks it is hungry all the time.  🙂  One of the more difficult tasks for some people in the hobby is to not always give into that urge to feed them!

I'd really really cut back feeding now knowing the size of your tank while you look for another home for it (or another tank).  Sadly, it's not a suitable home for your fish and will inevitably end poorly.

• Like 1

@jwcarlson @Colu thank you for all the info 

i didn’t feed at sunrise and found him on the evening swimming (looks more like he’s floating) sideways, i though there is something wrong with his swim bladder, i had to get out and my fear was to come back and find him dead and that’s exactly what happened 😢

I liked having a fish but if I’m doing it again I’m doing it right so if you have a forum explaining everything for beginners like a starters-kit i would love to check it out 

thank for the help again.

Edited by Razan
  • Sad 2