Feeding after ammonia spike question

JillianGarcia05

Happy Tuesday!

Last Saturday I visited the co-op and got set up with a game plan for my betta. Currently treating the tank with Fritz Maracyn and dosed the tank with Zyme 7 bacteria (to get BB in the tank) on Saturday, and was instructed for no more water changes (and testing) until day 6 of using Maracyn (per instruction on the package). So basically just leave the tank alone and allow it to try and cycle. 

The one thing I completely forgot to ask is how often should I feed her while doing this. The idea is to get the tank cycled again and the fish back to health. She ate a little on Sunday night and I fed her a little yesterday around mid-afternoon. But before these new instructions, she was fasting for 2-3 days due to just not feeling well. 

Now she's feeling WAY better (acting like her normal self) and begging for food. But, I guess the fear is feeding her and having an ammonia spike again. So just curious should I feed her once a day? Or every other day? Just trying my best to get things balanced out. 

Thanks all!

As I understand it, generally when treating you are not supposed to feed. 

However, in practice, I can't do it! I usually feed a very little amount on day 3 or 4.

My thought would be if she eats you can probably get away with a little food (emphasis on little).  My hunch is leftover food rotting in the tank will give off more ammonia then output from the fish. 

Do you have a method of testing water parameters? strips or api water test kit? 

Edited by Macready
  • Like 2

@Macready agree with not feeding. 

On 12/5/2023 at 12:01 PM, Macready said:

As I understand it, generally when treating you are not supposed to feed. 

However, in practice, I can't do it! I usually feed a very little amount on day 3 or 4.

My thought would be if she eats you can probably get away with a little food (emphasis on little).  My hunch is leftover food rotting in the tank will give off more ammonia then output from the fish. 

@Macready agree with not feeding the fish.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2023 at 9:17 AM, Flipper said:

I need some clarification.  Why would someone recommend using medicine, Maracyn, after an ammonia spike?

She got pop-eye/swollen eye and also an ammonia burn on the top of her head. So this is to help ease those issues. 

On 12/5/2023 at 9:01 AM, Macready said:

My hunch is leftover food rotting in the tank will give off more ammonia then output from the fish.

@Macready - yeah that's what I thought. So I only gave her a tiny bit of food. But I'll hold off on feeding her again until tomorrow/Thursday.

On 12/5/2023 at 9:01 AM, Macready said:

I have the API water test kit that I've been using. Was instructed to wait to test until I do the 25% water change. Since i was babying the tank for almost two weeks with water changes and testing to help with the ammonia spike. 

• Like 1