Breeding L397s

RubyFlutes

I've been keeping L397s for about three years now and last year, when they finally came of breeding age, they spawned over a 100 fry.

Unfortunately, I really don't have much new advice that can't already be found on the www, but I can provide you with a general idea of my setup.

I keep their water very clean. The Ph is about 6.4 - 6.6, but my hardness and TDS are quite high -- 9dGh, TDS around 330. I have the tank on auto water change, so there is a good deal of clean water going into their system on a regular basis.

If I had one suggestion it would be this-- if you have more than a couple fish, go bare bottom and keep minimal decorations in the aquarium. I have wood and caves and nothing else. I have about a dozen adults in my colony and they can make quite a mess of their tank (they are real poop factories).

My aquarium is 60 breeder with and Aquaclear 110 running full blast. A lot of the fish waste winds up in one corner of the tank as a result of the flow and I siphon it out every morning (this takes maybe a minute).  I also keep a number of L183s with them.  So I probably have about 20 fish total in that 60g, so like I said, it gets messy quick.

I originally had these fish on a sand substrate, but cleaning that was a real pain. 

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1