About to invest in congo spotted puffer breeding!

LTygress

And... I screwed up. I have a bad back and two months ago I had an injury that landed me in the ER. A few days ago, it flared back up and I have been stuck in bed for a couple of days now. That means I didn't feed the baby puffers any new vinegar eels for two full days.

I struggled into there today knowing I needed to keep the little bellies full. But their numbers were SO LOW now! I think I counted a dozen *total* while I was in there! Before this happened, I could probably count about a dozen in any 9 cubic-inch area (3"×3"×3"). Their numbers went WAY DOWN from being unable to feed them for just two days.

But I did get them fed today, so hopefully we are on the mend now. I also still have the parents, so I can breed them again if I need to. The other good news from it is that apparently the vinegar eels were really feeding them well! I haven't added anything else, but they lasted a week with just that before dying from me not feeding them.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 11:25 PM, LTygress said:

And... I screwed up. I have a bad back and two months ago I had an injury that landed me in the ER. A few days ago, it flared back up and I have been stuck in bed for a couple of days now. That means I didn't feed the baby puffers any new vinegar eels for two full days.

I struggled into there today knowing I needed to keep the little bellies full. But their numbers were SO LOW now! I think I counted a dozen *total* while I was in there! Before this happened, I could probably count about a dozen in any 9 cubic-inch area (3"×3"×3"). Their numbers went WAY DOWN from being unable to feed them for just two days.

But I did get them fed today, so hopefully we are on the mend now. I also still have the parents, so I can breed them again if I need to. The other good news from it is that apparently the vinegar eels were really feeding them well! I haven't added anything else, but they lasted a week with just that before dying from me not feeding them.

Bummer. Nice to read that the toughest of your batch are still eating vinegar eels so well. 

When I find myself figuring out identifying the less-than-ideal processes to raise my puffer fry up here I call them "learning experiences". I just try and incorporate what I can to help the next fry grow that much better.

My most recent spotted congo fry learning example: I did not realizing scuds were getting in through a sponge on an intake tube from the main grow out tank the tray sits on the surface of, or that the fry were dwindling (likely nightly) until I only saw scuds in the tray one day.  I'm still working on my process here but they are a very enjoyable puffer fry to try and figure out how to raise for me. I look forward to updates on your fry.