Ranchu has recovered from dropsy - how long to keep treating?

Torbay

1 week ago my Ranchu looked a little swollen and the next morning it was obviously dropsy: Very bloated, pineconing, etc. Moved him to a hospital tank and treated with: epsom salt, 84F temps, Metronidazole every other day, Melafix daily, and daily salt bath. 50% water change every other day. He remained active and able to swim. I fed him lightly starting day 3. On day 6 he looked 100% normal (correct size/shape and scales flat). I'm hoping he has recovered fully, but how long should I keep treating him? Another week...or longer? I stopped the salt baths as that is stressful and his shape is normal. Based on others' experiences, can I slowly lower the temp day-by-day to 78F (normal tank temp). Should I slowly reduce/dilute the salt content with water changes? Should I stop the Metro/Melafix dosing? I don't want to stop treating too soon if that's not the right approach. Not sure how to proceed so any advice is greatly appreciated.

On 11/13/2023 at 2:30 PM, Torbay said:
1 week ago my Ranchu looked a little swollen and the next morning it was obviously dropsy: Very bloated, pineconing, etc. Moved him to a hospital tank and treated with: epsom salt, 84F temps, Metronidazole every other day, Melafix daily, and daily salt bath. 50% water change every other day. He remained active and able to swim. I fed him lightly starting day 3. On day 6 he looked 100% normal (correct size/shape and scales flat). I'm hoping he has recovered fully, but how long should I keep treating him? Another week...or longer? I stopped the salt baths as that is stressful and his shape is normal. Based on others' experiences, can I slowly lower the temp day-by-day to 78F (normal tank temp). Should I slowly reduce/dilute the salt content with water changes? Should I stop the Metro/Melafix dosing? I don't want to stop treating too soon if that's not the right approach. Not sure how to proceed so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Dropsy can be caused by a number of things such as internal bacterial infections organ failure parasitic infections it's not uncommon for fish to relapse after recovering if your seeing the fish return to normal no pineconing it's eating ok and active then I would leave low  dose of salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons for another week  and treat with metronidazole for another week I would stop treating with Melafix give an update after a week

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

@ColuMy calico ranchu has been doing fine since his dropsy symptoms resolved. I have returned him to my main tank. I am cautiously optimistic that he will remain healthy. I have increased water changes from twice weekly to 3X, keeping nitrates between 5-10 vs 15-20. Hope this will give others hope that if you catch dropsy fast and treat it aggressively, it can have a positive outcome.

Edited by Torbay
  • Like 1