Bottom Fish and Aquarium Footprint Size

pancake

I see people who ask the common question of how many fish can I put in x gallon tank. And I know the answer to that is complex. Variables are involved like how often you want to do maintenance or if you have live plants in there or the type and size of fish, ect, ect. Some people give the 1 inch of fish per gallon guide. I tend to look to Aqadvisor for a guide.

I haven't seen much discussion online about the footprint of a tank and bottom dwelling fish. Is there any kind of a guide measurement to keep in mind if you want more than one kind of bottom fish? Like I'd imagine you can fit more Kuhli Loaches together in say a 40 gallon than if you had some Kuhlis and some corys or hillstream loaches. And I know some bottom fish are climbers like a snail and have that space they can also move to. Maybe someone wants 3 kinds cuz they like them?

I'd just like to hear your thoughts on the matter especially if you keep more than one or two types together in x tank.

On 11/2/2023 at 6:36 PM, Guppysnail said:

The only way I know to answer that is to know the type of fish you are combining to know the habits, size and activity level of each. 

Like how much bottom space should a bottom dweller have as a loose guide? Like is there a square inch loose guide to keep in mind? Or a number of types of bottom types by tank size?

Would 6 Kuhli Loaches, 4 zebra nerite snails, 2 mystery snails, and 4 Hillstream Loaches be too much in a 40 breeder footprint because they are all different

vs

a 40 breeder with 16 Kuhli Loaches and 4 zebra nerite snails since it is only two kinds instead of four kinds and the majority bottom fish in this scenario doesn't climb glass? 

On 11/2/2023 at 9:09 PM, pancake said:

4 zebra nerite snails, 2 mystery snails, and 4 Hillstream Loaches

not because of size or where they dwell but because they all need the same soft algae that grows. Mostly the nerites and hillstreams. Neither one should be put in a new tank. 

There really isn’t a rule of thumb for this. It’s entirely dependent on the species you are trying to keep together. If you find your desired stock and tank size you can post and ask if they will mix and match correctly. 

As the tank seasons and grows algae and microfauna I would say that would be just fine in a 40 breeder. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2023 at 9:43 PM, Guppysnail said:

not because of size or where they dwell but because they all need the same soft algae that grows. Mostly the nerites and hillstreams. Neither one should be put in a new tank. 

There really isn’t a rule of thumb for this. It’s entirely dependent on the species you are trying to keep together. If you find your desired stock and tank size you can post and ask if they will mix and match correctly. 

As the tank seasons and grows algae and microfauna I would say that would be just fine in a 40 breeder. 

Ok I see. It's more about how seasoned the tank is because many bottom feeders eat algae. I was thinking about it from a poor angle. I guess that explains why I couldn't find much about this online. 

• Like 1