1g Walstad Jar

JoeQ

On 11/1/2023 at 2:26 PM, Guppysnail said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea did something similar. Looking forward to seeing this evolve into artwork. 

I'd tamp down expectations, it'll probably become another jungle tank with me ranting about the best way to avoid algae is with healthy plant growth.....

On 11/1/2023 at 3:00 PM, Kit Craft said:

I have the same jar on my coffee stand (with blue ramshorns). Can't wait to see your setup.

Walmart special! 🤣🤣

On 11/1/2023 at 3:09 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Ahh very nice! My thread is here with the instructions I used from Diana Walstad’s shrimp jar article.

I saw, I already stalked the first few pages of the thread! 🤣 I'm following her directions from the book which is in the 4th revision. As for the book it's pretty good but wayyyyy too science-ie, I almost want to rewrite it then reread it, but change every scientific plant name and every single scientific element notation!!!! Ammonia, just say Ammonia......  Sentences like "nh4 + o2 provide anoxic conditions which turns it into no3" Just make my brains itch!!!! 

• Haha 3

On 11/1/2023 at 3:57 PM, JoeQ said:

I'd tamp down expectations, it'll probably become another jungle tank with me ranting about the best way to avoid algae is with healthy plant growth.....

Walmart special! 🤣🤣

I saw, I already stalked the first few pages of the thread! 🤣 I'm following her directions from the book which is in the 4th revision. As for the book it's pretty good but wayyyyy too science-ie, I almost want to rewrite it then reread it, but change every scientific plant name and every single scientific element notation!!!! Ammonia, just say Ammonia......  Sentences like "nh4 + o2 provide anoxic conditions which turns it into no3" Just make my brains itch!!!! 

Walstad did a video with kgt’s wife. They built a jar together.

Learning more about soil than I ever planned on......... I often have paralysis through analysis, I almost think im more interested in learning how to do something, than I am with actually doing said task. Anyhow, here is a good video on selecting soils for dirted tanks.

Here is the soil I switched to on account of its Guaranteed Analysis was more inline with the recommended miracle grow choice organic.

20231103_134201.jpg.69e5ac13b537b51c87a51c09733eb61d.jpg

Along with the analysis

20231103_135156.jpg.97eb2fd0eebb720d2d17461a34f44c2d.jpg

The only downside is it has silicates, some of which are Insoluble..... Silicates are a known driver of Green Blue Algae, im actually intrested in seeing if I have a BGA take over!

• Haha 1

On 11/3/2023 at 2:47 PM, JoeQ said:

Learning more about soil than I ever planned on......... I often have paralysis through analysis, I almost think im more interested in learning how to do something, than I am with actually doing said task. Anyhow, here is a good video on selecting soils for dirted tanks.

Here is the soil I switched to on account of its Guaranteed Analysis was more inline with the recommended miracle grow choice organic.

20231103_134201.jpg.69e5ac13b537b51c87a51c09733eb61d.jpg

Along with the analysis

20231103_135156.jpg.97eb2fd0eebb720d2d17461a34f44c2d.jpg

The only downside is it has silicates, some of which are Insoluble..... Silicates are a known driver of Green Blue Algae, im actually intrested in seeing if I have a BGA take over!

I always go 1.5 - 2” with my sand cap to really lock it down.

On 11/3/2023 at 2:47 PM, JoeQ said:

I often have paralysis through analysis, I almost think im more interested in learning how to do something, than I am with actually doing said task

I can totally relate. I’ve heard it called as a “fixation” on something. Sometimes it’s trivial stuff, and sometimes it’s educational and productive. Just depends on my mood. Trivial fixations seem to occur when I’m procrastinating on doing something I don’t wanna do!

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 11/3/2023 at 3:04 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I always go 1.5 - 2” with my sand cap to really lock it down.

Im doing a partial mid cap of eco complete. I believe that was recommended by father fish as a tidy(er) setup for uprooting plants. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 3:04 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I can totally relate. I’ve heard it called as a “fixation” on something. Sometimes it’s trivial stuff, and sometimes it’s educational and productive. Just depends on my mood. Trivial fixations seem to occur when I’m procrastinating on doing something I don’t wanna do!

I think with me it's a fear of failure, OCD kind of thing! I love being precise, I love knowing the numbers. If the old sayings go 'measure twice, cut once' or 'an ounce of prevention'.. I take them to the extremes, I measure 15 times to the 1/16th of an Inch and coat it with a lb of prevention before I even make the cut...... It's exhausting at times 😮‍💨

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 2

On 11/3/2023 at 9:24 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Do you also keep lots of to do lists because you worry you’ll forget things? I do that. Often I will look back on a list like, half that stuff wasn’t as important as I thought it was. LOL

I use the color note app to note everything, movies I want to watch, books I want to read, random things I want to research. The only to-do lists i make are lists of things I think I need at stores. And as you said, many times these things listed are less than important!

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2023 at 4:59 AM, JoeQ said:

I use the color note app to note everything, movies I want to watch, books I want to read, random things I want to research. The only to-do lists i make are lists of things I think I need at stores. And as you said, many times these things listed are less than important!

I will check out that app!