Vallisneria in shallow tank

On 11/24/2023 at 8:30 AM, Macready said:

This has been my experience with val as well. All sorts or runners, only grows about 2 inches high. I tried some root tabs under a couple of them and no luck, I dose Easy Green weekly.  I can't figure out if they are getting too much light (which I doubt because the light isn't that bright) or not enough light, but I'm afraid to increase the intensity of the light too much, every thing else seems to grow fine or at least well enough.

I gave up and put a Red Flame Sword where I wanted to val to grow instead. Just left the little val's in place. 
PH 7.5 / GH 8 / KH 4 / Temp 76 f / 10.5 hours of light a day, 4 hour siesta. 

Sometimes I wonder if a lot depends on the heritage of the individual plant.   There are so many variables that it would be hard to prove.

There seems to be a lot of people on these forums that can't grow Val, but have no problems growing other plants.  Short of giving them sunburn, I don't know if they can get too much light.  At this point, I am considering moving the mother plant to my project tank.  My eye tells me that it isn't very bright, but it does get a 16 hour day.  I've restored plants in the project tank that won't grow in the planted community tank.

• Like 1