Missing endlers mystery

Scaperoot

I have a 5 gallon shallow tank that I recently stocked with 9 endler guppies. Started with 3 then added 6 more yesterday. The last time I checked, at around 9 last night, all seemed fine. This morning, there were only 5 guppies left. I checked for bodies, nothing. I checked the filter media covering the filter intake, nothing. I checked behind and around the tank, nothing. I have 3 Nerites and about 6-7 cherry shrimp as well. Is it possible that their bodies were consumed in less than 9 hours?? I'm so confused. I even moved stones around. Nothing. Wouldn't I see some bones at least? 

51CC4612-BD80-4345-BFBC-5FABC876C456.jpeg

Thats what happened to me when I got my first endlers. The male suddenly disappeared. I have never been able to find it to this day. No where around or inside the tank. It is a mystery.

Females were pregnant, so I have tens of them right now. Females kept giving birth without a male for months, so now they are a colony.

However the mystery continues for me as well. However in my case it was only a single male. Your number is a bit too much for this mystery

On 10/22/2023 at 8:01 PM, Littlefish said:

I think you just want to show that tank!  That looks really good.

Endler males shrivel to almost nothing when they jump, so if they were males I'd guess they're in the bird's nest fern.

We checked the plants, no sign. All 9 were males. This is wild. There's about an inch from the top of the water line to the edge of the tank, but I have no idea how far an endler can jump. 

On 10/22/2023 at 8:01 PM, Littlefish said:

I think you just want to show that tank!  That looks really good.

Endler males shrivel to almost nothing when they jump, so if they were males I'd guess they're in the bird's nest fern.

lol!

My lingering theory is that there is a lizard hiding amongst the plants who helped himself to our endlers. We have tons in the yard, and they do get in sometimes, even with our cat on the prowl. Nothing else makes sense.  

This was originally a dozen "feeder" guppies (wild type Endlers).  Six survived and then became:

school_of_fish.jpeg

So, just treat them well and you'll have (way) more than you know what to do with.

p.s.  What should I do?!?!? 😅

Edited by Galabar
  • Like 1