Preselected plant assortments.

pcc

Have any of you purchased the aquarium plant assortments that several online dealers offer? They are usually described as hardy no CO2 plants for beginners and contain 10 to 20 plants. If you have purchased one of these how did it work out for you? Were you happy and if so which vendor did you use. Plants are expensive ant these assortments are tempting.

Edited by pcc

On 10/21/2023 at 9:18 PM, pcc said:

Have any of you purchased the aquarium plant assortments that several online dealers offer? They are usually described as hardy no CO2 plants for beginners and contain 10 to 20 plants. If you have purchased one of these how did it work out for you? Were you happy and if so which vendor did you use. Plants are expensive ant these assortments are tempting.

It's a very good option and generally speaking you're supporting a local hobbyist.  Plenty of people will sell plants "per stem" or try to get them to grow out as options to have more rare plants available for their area.  As always, the easy stuff is a great option and the main thing is for both sides to be happy with the sale.  It can always be hit or miss and the real challenge is just making sure that you do things on your end to avoid algae and pests on the plants themselves.  One of the big things I would be on the alert for is snails, especially if it's a snail that you don't want in your tank. Other common things is planaria.  Just use caution.  That being said, I would not be hesitant, especially if the bundle makes sense for what you want to try.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly this was one of the first online plant purchases I made when getting back into the hobby.. The upside to these deals is that they give you a large plant mass for really cheap! The downsize is of course 'they pick em' which usually means you'll get what they are over stocked with. If it's the retailer I'm thinking of you can also put a note with your order and they will 'try' to make more appropriate selections for your order.

Edited by JoeQ