Wood maintenance

beastie

Given i had to replace the wood in my tank and that i use nature collected wood that is softer, rots quicker and overall doesn't hold as well or as long as purchased ones, mopani and spider. 

I wonder if there would be a benefit of adding a wood eating snail or a fish to help maintain it. I believe brotia pagodula eats wood and we i understand some plecos will graze on it and somehow manage it. Ofcourse panaq eat the most but i do not have w bathtub 🙂 i can easily add a cave I took out of the tank some time back to create the territory for it, out of sterbais/b-ram reach. The rams don't handle too many snails well so i am not sure

Is this a good idea? I do have like seven otos and four or so amanos shrimp but not many ramshorns or other snails.

Nerite snails also eat wood.  I often suggest people supply their nerites with some wood. I can't promise they will eat the specific type of wood you have but they do eat a variety of woods. 

Pagoda snails have a lower temp and higher flow requirment than most snails but they do eat wood. They can be difficult for some people to keep. 

I don't know a lot about wood specifically but it sounds like a good solution to me. 

Edited by Cinnebuns