Liters/minute for air stone + hose length

beastie

For my asian tank I want to add an airstone/aircurtain, but I need a new air filter for it, as all of mine are occupied.

I was looking for the option to have the air filter in the cabinet under the tank and just having a long air hose to the stone. I know however, this will mean the filter output would have to larger than it would need to be, if I just had the filter hanging on the side of the glass for example.

Is there a calculator how long a hose /how much liters per minute to achieve optimal oxygen dispersion?

We have a super small one here with 0,3l/min that can be hanged on the side of the glass, or normal boxes with1,5l/min, 2l/min, 2,5l/min,...

If I place the airfilter in the cabinet below the tank, I am looking a 1,5meter length of airhose at least. Thank you for advice

The distance is a factor, but not within the range of relevant distances here. If you were doing a couple hundred or maybe even a few dozen feet, then distance might be relevant to your calculations. 

If the air pump is below the height of the waterline of the tank (eg in a cabinet below), then if there is a power failure, water will climb back up the air hose a bit. If the water goes far enough back the hose that it goes over the rim and back down towards the pump, it will create a siphon and your tank will drain out via the air hose, through the air pump. A slow trickle to be sure, but it could be many hours and many many gallons on the floor before you notice. A simple check valve in the hose near the tank prevents this.  I was googling for good picture explanations of this, and ironically the best ones are on amazon, ie the photos and setup instructions for the various pumps they sell. 

On 10/19/2023 at 4:40 PM, Pepere said:

what sort of tank height are we looking at?

Oh it is just a 45cm tank standing on a meter high stand I would hazard. Just in past I always used an airpump sitting on the table next to the tank, so never had that issue 🙂 

On 10/19/2023 at 10:32 AM, beastie said:

But I was wondering if the pressure it needs to be higher in order to push it further. If not, I can buy whatever will be available at my price range that will support airstone

At the heights and distances involved, pushing the air higher or farther is a non-factor. As said above, blowing air deeper under water may require a more powerful pump. Especially since you're going to use a wand or bar, and not just a single airstone. 

Imagine sitting in a boat on a lake. I'll give you 50 ft of airline hose. If we stretch that out across the surface, horizontally, you wouldn't have much difficulty blowing air through that tube. If we tied the end to a balloon and float the end 50 ft up in the sky, also quite easy. But if we weight the end of the hose and sink it 50ft down, you'll have great difficulty blowing air all the way to the bottom.