Breeding Platinum Halfbeaks

I’ve been MIA from the forum for a while, but just wanted to share some photos of some recent breeding success. I’ve had these platinum halfbeaks for over a year and even kept them outside for the summer without any fry. 

Last week, I noticed some blue green algae growing in the tank and I wanted to increase the circulation to see if it would help. I put in a little submersible pump and not a week later, I found 11 fry. The parents didn’t even seem interested in them, they just wanted to play in the new flow. 

Let me know if you have any questions about these cool fish. Here’s some background info:

- There are approximately 9 adults in the 20 gallon. 
- it’s planted with Vallisneria, Salvinia minima, and Dwarf water lettuce
- parents are fed about 1 cube of bloodworms/brine shrimp per day

- I have the fry in a hanging breeder box and I’m feeding them Hikari first bites and baby brine shrimp 2-3 times a day

C2283FF9-8998-40D3-AE56-E4BBAB9AC0FB.jpeg

019B307E-6081-4EAE-A25C-6448EFE21819.jpeg

EE2B7218-F196-4D54-A9B8-CDBF1336790C.jpeg

EAEB8433-5186-4BAB-A040-E4EB394BC5B7.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 11:58 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Congrats on the fry! I was always under the impression that halfbeaks were the most infanticidic (is that a word?)  parents going, next to swordtails. 

@AnimalNerd98

That’s what I thought too! I saw some of the fry just chilling next to their parents. I guess it helps that they’re kept well fed.

Here’s another theory I have: I think the increased flow may also have something to do with it. The adults tend to stay near the outflow of the pump because I usually feed them by letting a cube of blood worms disintegrate in front of the outflow. They probably wait near the high flow area in anticipation of food. The fry are then able to retreat into the refuge of the floating plants where the flow is slow. If there was only a sponge filter running, the parents might just go through all parts of the tank and spend more time hunting down the fry. Just my own theory, not sure if it’s valid 

• Like 1