Eheim prefilter

Galabar

On 10/4/2023 at 4:28 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I can’t see how it’s much different from the usual filter intake, apart from the basket being on the outside. It’s basically the same as all the others 😅.

Slightly less ugly? 😅

I have had those on all of my Eheim canister filters for 8-10 years. Aside from the typical reduction of what ends up in the filters, they're great for reducing the possibility of fry ending up in the canisters. I have 2 sets per canister & swap them out every week. About 18-24 months, I buy replacement sponge filter sponges of the same inner & outer diameter that just need cut to half the length.

Are there less expensive options?

Absolutely, but they fit the standard intake perfectly, are simple to swap out, and are "tried & true" for us.

Edited by Tazalanche
  • Thanks 1

On thing to note here is that the strainer basket on eheim canisters is a "one size fits all" approach.  there is an internal diameter for the smaller sizes and it's actually designed for the larger sizes.  I believe this prefilter comes in two sizes....  That may be a big advantage here for someone who has shrimp or other small fish, an eheim canister (like the old classic series) as well as something that just needs a certain style of prefilter.  It's a hard connection, press fit, so it's a bit less likely to get knocked off (or leave an open intake) in some situations.

On 10/3/2023 at 10:14 PM, Galabar said:

Has anyone tried it?

I have an old eheim I am working on repairing, then I will be trying it out in something like a planted tank / shrimp tank. 🙂

Unfortunately that is a bit of a ways off for me.